Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss New member - Milton Keynes Pro Tiling in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

PLGMKPT

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

I’m Lee from Milton Keynes Pro tile. After sub contracting for a while, my brother Paul and I decided to take the plunge and try going it alone. Although we’ve tried various types of online advertising we’ve found it quite difficult to drum up much business. I wondered if you guys could give us any tips on how you got your businesses off the ground?
Looking forward to keeping up to date with everyone on here.
Regards
Lee

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum Lee.

I’d keep an eye out on your email a little later on Lee, most of us work full time and probably don’t have time right now to advise, but you should get some responses a little later on.

O

Old Mod

So I take it you’ve been working for tile contractors full time then Lee?

I moved away from my home area for a number of years and then decided to come back, so had to start over finding new contacts.
The only real way I think is the telephone and leg work, the way it used to be done.
Social media and the web are ok, but I find its a little more productive when you’re more established.
I’m sure it’s not that way for everyone, but that’s been my experience.
One of the best sources of work I found was loft companies. They have a quick turn around of an average 4-6week build.
A lot of them don’t want to know about the tile either, cos they’re always worried about problems later on.
It’s the guys on site who are always looking for tilers, and the good thing is that generally all the teams know each other if it’s a big enough concern.
In London there was one company called A1 lofts, they had some 30 teams on the go, so if you get in with them they can keep you real busy.
And you’ll almost always be direct to the client, cos they don’t want the responsibility.
So drive around and go knocking on doors of builds in progress, you may strike lucky.
The other alternative is to hit all the tile stores, take a portfolio with you, even ask if they want any displays doing for free. You have to be in their face all the time, they’re a fickle lot.
Once they get to know you tho and if they get no complaints, they’ll keep using you.
So that’s two ideas you can try Lee.
And good luck with it.

Small independent builders are worth a try to, kitchen extensions that sort of thing.
You need to get in peoples faces, one on one! :)

OP
P

PLGMKPT

TF
Reaction score

I moved away from my home area for a number of years and then decided to come back, so had to start over finding new contacts.
The only real way I think is the telephone and leg work, the way it used to be done.
Social media and the web are ok, but I find its a little more productive when you’re more established.
One of the best sources of work I found was loft companies. They have a quick turn around of an average 4-6week build.
A lot of them don’t want to know about the tile either, cos they’re always worried about problems later on.
It’s the guys on site who are always looking for tilers, and the good thing is that generally all the teams know each other if it’s a big enough concern.
In London there was one company called A1 lofts, they had some 30 teams on the go, so if you get in with them they can keep you real busy.
And you’ll almost always be direct to the client, cos they don’t want the responsibility.
So drive around and go knocking on doors of builds in progress, you may strike lucky.
The other alternative is to hit all the tile stores, take a portfolio with you, even ask if they want any displays doing for free. You have to be in their face all the time, they’re a fickle lot.
Once they get to know you tho and if they get no complaints, they’ll keep using you.
And good luck with it.

Small independent builders are worth a try to, kitchen extensions that sort of thing.

And good luck with it.

Hi 3Fall,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and providing such good advice. Would never have thought to contact loft companies but will add them to the list.

We were starting to think that the old fashioned was may be more efficient and have lealets ordered and on their way ready to disribute in the local area.

Thanks again,

Lee

Reply to New member - Milton Keynes Pro Tiling in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock