Discuss New build bath tiled with mastic and no waterproofing? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property which looks like it was built on a late friday afternoon.

I wasn’t keen on the bathroom tiles so decided to redo the whole bathroom walls and floors.

After removing the bath wall tiles I noticed there doesn’t seem to be any waterproofing, also the tiles that were installed (can be seen in picture) seem to have been attached with tubbed mastic which I thought was a big no no in wet areas.

As you can see in the pictures it was tiled over skimmed and painted plasterboard (which I thought was also a no-no).

I accidentally made some holes in the plasterboard when removing the tiles and it seems to have that green paper layer if that makes any difference.

Am I right in saying this installation is against regulations and do I have a leg to stand on if I complain?

As I was planning on tiling the whole bathroom with 600mm x 900mm porcelain tiles I have removed the paint from the outer bathroom walls and gone over with a few coats of SBR but im not sure how to approach the bath area (assuming the builders wont do anything about it)

Should I :

A) remove all mastic, patch up holes, use a Mapei tanking kit (without removing bathtub)

B) Bite the bullet and remove all plasterboard and replace with something like this with taped seams:

Thanks!

Attachments

• A2AEEC04-97A3-4F9A-B9DC-99CB4B50B44E.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 6F58A140-958D-4113-823B-A762D0B6D929.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 131453EF-EF9D-4324-94C8-1CCCD733DD88.jpeg
    604.5 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Bonus question, I was planning on adding a niche into the long side of the bath’s wall but after checking there is only 70mm depth inside the wall, do they make niche trays to fit or should I go to the far end wall away from the showerhead which has 120mm+ depth? (But will be annoying to use)

Reply to New build bath tiled with mastic and no waterproofing? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks