• Thread starter Jaclyn Fiddyment
  • Start date
  • Replies 43
  • Views 4K
Search the forum,

Discuss New Career (hopefully!!) in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jaclyn Fiddyment

Hi welcome to the forum :-D

The best advice I would give any newbie tiler is try and become a 'tilers mate' I.e labour for a Tiler. Learn the trade bit by bit. Pick up on the do's and don'ts. Show enough enthusiasm and be keen to learn. Tiling isn't the hard bit, becoming a master of the trade is. Knowing how to price a job and more importantly when to walk away from a job is the hardest part.

As an example I went to tile an open plan kitchen and dining room area 55m2. Nice plain square area. The builder had sheeted it with 6mm plywood. The floor was 'bouncing'. What Had started as a nice easy job soon turned into a job where I couldn't guarantee the floor would last longer than a week and ultimately I had to pass on it. The moral of what I am saying is learn the pros and cons, price your jobs right and you will go far.
Thanks for the advice,I will try to get a job as a 'tilers mate' hopefully someone will take me on!! I'm eager to learn what I can & become a good tiler.

Reaction score
HiJaclin
Keep your day job and save up to enroll in a longer course at least a year and go
along the qualification route.there is no fast track to being a pro tiler as there is so much to learn.There are some very good tiling colleges around these days and
tiling tutors that can bring you up to the standards that are required of a pro tiler.

Reply to New Career (hopefully!!) in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen