Search the forum,

Discuss Natural stone floor thread in the public forum in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Not just this thread but nearly all the threads that are started by customers complaining, far too many tilers slag of the job without knowing the full facts. I feel, as a community, the tilers should have some back up before they are pounced upon by saying it is dreadful (we are not talking about the 'general builders mate who can tile' tilers)
I totally agree. Happened a few times.

I hate thinking we're being used as ammo to stop a tiler being paid.

Wonder what the outcome will be.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree as we don't get all the information till it's dragged from the customer.
However most of the jobs shown are disgraceful and we have to protect our trade from these 'tilers'.
Of late there have been a couple of threads highlighting those customers who will never be happy and the old tiler possibly needs a bit of support.

My reply went into Toms !!

Fixed

T

Time's Ran Out

I see it this way.

The customer has bought marble tiles from a small sample ordered over the phone. Clearly hasn't unpacked or looked through what's arrived and has left the tiler to get on with it. The tiler has fitted what he's been given.

A couple of things spring to mind on this thread.

The job doesn't look badly done, the "untidy" grouting looks more to do with rough cut marble edges than bad grouting.
The grubby nature of the grout could be after a plumber has been in and fitted the sanitaryware. Much of the grubbyness looks like dust from drilling to me.

Is it reasonable for the tiler to assume that the marble mosaics supplied by the customer have been checked and approved?

Is it reasonable for the customer to assume that the tiler should know what the customer has in mind when it comes to the appearance of the floor? Should the tiler then start pulling different shades of mosaic sheet from the supplied tiles on the basis the customer might not like them?

Lack of communication, that's what this whole problem comes down to. Too many assumptions and lack of people actually talking to each other.

Like Dan I get a bit irked when the finger is pointed at the tiler form the word go.

The reality is that assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

1) The tiles were bought from a 'reputable' source after receiving a sample. One would expect that sample to be representative of the stock held now, not 3/6/9 months ago! However this is hardly ever the case and they do advise to check shades before fixing.
I would check the batch/shade / quantity of tiles before I started any job.
2) It is not acceptable in my opinion to fix tiles that have been supplied - because that's what he's been given! As a professional ( and he didn't have a wet cutter!) it's not reasonable to assume that the tiles have been checked by others.
3) Once the shade variation had become apparent he should have mixed the pieces of mosaic - piece by piece if required, to get an acceptable blend.

Saying all that I'am not sure if he could have appeased a customer at that stage.

C

Concrete guy

1) The tiles were bought from a 'reputable' source after receiving a sample. One would expect that sample to be representative of the stock held now, not 3/6/9 months ago! However this is hardly ever the case and they do advise to check shades before fixing.
2) It is not acceptable in my opinion to fix tiles that have been supplied - because that's what he's been given! As a professional ( and he didn't have a wet cutter!) it's not reasonable to assume that the tiles have been checked by others.
3) Once the shade variation had become apparent he should have mixed the pieces of mosaic - piece by piece if required, to get an acceptable blend.

Saying all that I'am not sure if he could have appeased a customer at that stage.

Before any of the above took place there should have been a conversation between the customer and the tiler.

That's the problem, in fact that's the entire problem. No one seems to have talked to anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I make it quite clear from the start if customers purchase there own tiles then they have to check batches, shading etc to make sure it is exactly what they want.
After all there employing me as a fixer to fix there tiles not spend half a day sorting though there b & q specials ..
However if I supply the tiles then I'm responsable for them.....but then I have a mark up on the tiles to allow me to sort any issues.
In saying all this if something quite obvious jumps out at me to be wrong then of course I would flag it up.
But I will say I've done a few jobs where everything looks perfect till you grout it and then it shows up different shades / batches . And when box's have little to no info on them ....or cowboy suppliers mixing batches and taping boxs to get rid of old stock what are we supposed to do?

Last edited:
I

Italy

exactly, these laws are

I

Italy

ba, I'm not quite agree with the answers given by members ..
if a job sucks, I do not care who did it, tilerbricklayer or other.
I happen a few times to make mistakes, but at night I can not sleep and the next morning, I place the error. do not expect the customer to tell me.
The rules are clear, (already mentioned another trend), invented the rules do not interest me. the tiler has to stop and call everyone, customer, reseller.
Here, we are talking of Color shades, but have you seen the spirit level? and grout ?.
What should you say? that is beautiful?. I sincerely, I would refuse to take money and run away as far as possible.
when you work, you have to put into operation the conscience, and not always think only about money.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Think,This could happen to anyone,
The tiles were fixed and the overall colour was good, as I am informed.
The impregnator was applied and they all went darker in different areas, this can be several things.
This is why I got him to test an unlaid sheet with the impregnator, they can change the colour, or highlight colour! Especially on honed surfaces, Which they did, with no moisture involved
I have been telling him to test stripping this out to see if we can get back to a lighter shade and test a water based, but seems more involved on blame rather than resolve.
I have spoken to fixer, which was interesting!.But , surely again this could happen to anyone. Testing any impregnator is key for final colour change on naturals, one unlaid stone is easier to resolve and check,confirm aesthetic , than an complete floor.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
ba, I'm not quite agree with the answers given by members ..
if a job sucks, I do not care who did it, tilerbricklayer or other.
I happen a few times to make mistakes, but at night I can not sleep and the next morning, I place the error. do not expect the customer to tell me.
The rules are clear, (already mentioned another trend), invented the rules do not interest me. the tiler has to stop and call everyone, customer, reseller.
Here, we are talking of Color shades, but have you seen the spirit level? and grout ?.
What should you say? that is beautiful?. I sincerely, I would refuse to take money and run away as far as possible.
when you work, you have to put into operation the conscience, and not always think only about money.
Thought we were on about shading issues??........agree there's no excuse for shoddy work.......and to be honest I think it's where he's coming unstuck....if he would of done a peach job and the shading was the only problem then I think his case would be stronger.

Reply to Natural stone floor thread in the public forum in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen