Discuss Kitchen splashback advice in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi folks, new to the forum and I'm a DIY novice with no tiling experience to speak of. Been reading through the forum recently and got some great tips and I'm considering a tiling course further down the line.

Quick question for those with more experience; started tiling my kitchen splashback this weekend. U shaped kitchen, mixed mosaic tile behind the cooker then using 600x300 elsewhere. Original plan was 1.5 tiles high at wall behind sink and window in line with end of the cabinets, now thinking of 2 tiles high instead? Is 600 too high for a splashback?

Will try and upload a couple of images!

Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hopefully this works
IMG_20180930_215847.jpg
IMG_20180930_215859.jpg
MVIMG_20180930_215910.jpg
IMG_20180930_215825.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Welcome and enjoy the forum.
I would normally tile splash backs to the height of the underside of the wall mounted units. This can vary but 600mm is a bit high, although 2 full tiles can look better than cuts. Or you can tile them portrait 600mm high.

Reaction score
Welcome and enjoy the forum.
I would normally tile splash backs to the height of the underside of the wall mounted units. This can vary but 600mm is a bit high, although 2 full tiles can look better than cuts. Or you can tile them portrait 600mm high.

Thanks for the response. Yeah think the 600 might be a little high myself. In hindsight I probably should have taken a little off the bottom row to so the grout line was more central?? Ah well, too late now!!
Cheers

W

Waluigi

For arguments sake a Kitchen worktop is 900mm from the floor.

Add on a couple of tiles and say 5mm for a spacer, a wedge and a little gap between the top of the tile and the bottom of the wall unit and you’ve got about 1505mm from the floor to the underside of the wall unit. To me that’s about right but it is very much a personal thing.

T

Time's Ran Out

Underside of your wall units are normally determined by the height of your wall units and the top of your floor standing tall units (ie fridge/freezer).

Reaction score
Forgot to post a couple of pics of the finished job. Turned out well imo. Might redo the trim someone in the future and actually use a mitre block to cut...;)
Enjoyed doing this and still thinking of a tiling course... Even had a few enquires from people wanting some work done.
Thanks for the help, the forum is fantastic.

MVIMG_20181019_155125.jpg MVIMG_20181019_155150.jpg MVIMG_20181019_155324.jpg MVIMG_20181019_155414.jpg

Reply to Kitchen splashback advice in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks