Discuss Is this shoddy tiling? Advice much appreciated! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 53218

Hi!
We've just had our kitchen installed and one of the installers said he does tiling too.
So we got him to the tiles, including a herringbone pattern behind the oven/splashback. White tiles, dark grout. The main issue is the corners, where there is a massive thick line of grout on some corners, often with the line getting thinner or thicker up the wall, and some tiles stepping where they are not even in a line. Also the herringbone 'join' doesn't quite match either.

I don't think I'm being too fussy here but it just seems really sloppy. The dark grout should be a feature, instead it looks plain nasty at the corners. Not happy!!! Any thoughts? much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_5314.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5315.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5312.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5313.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 136

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
you have picked one of the most difficult combinations going ! herringbone, white tiles, black grout, only a professional tiler on top of there game would be able to have done a satisfactory job, not some kitchen fitter that thinks he'll have a bash at it and hope for the best.
you should of got a professional in.
but to answer your questions, yes it's rubbish!

D

Deleted member 53218

you have picked one of the most difficult combinations going ! herringbone, white tiles, black grout, only a professional tiler on top of there game would be able to have done a satisfactory job, not some kitchen fitter that thinks he'll have a bash at it and hope for the best.
you should of got a professional in.
but to answer your questions, yes it's rubbish!
cheers for you response mate. yeah, thought it was crap! do you think just the edge tiles can be redone, or the whole job start from scratch?

cheers
Jim

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I've noticed more are more people doing that for herringbone round corners and no wrap. Not saying I agree with it, just that some folk seem to do it that way. If that doesn't bother you then some white silicone can easily remidy those intetnal corners and also take your eye off the lines not tottally matching up

Agree with Andy and the black Grout hasn't helped matters with those rustic edge tiles

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gutted!

Lovely tiles those are. Terrible way to display them that is.

The tile shop and / or kitchen fitter should have said right from the start that those tiles will look terrible in herringbone fashion. Nice brick-fashion with light grey grout so the tiles stand out would have been the way to go me thinks.

Checkout this thread with similar tiles: Metro tiles grout size for a London Underground look - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/metro-tiles-grout-size-for-a-london-underground-look.90109/

Tried and tested for decades with charcoal coloured grout on the underground. Not for everybody. But then herringbone isn't either I guess.

The cut tiles in the corner on the herringbone bit were not marked or cut right. A professional tiler would have got them spot on.

As above, remedy here is either pull them off and hope it's soon enough and the adhesive isn't fully cured, and save some tiles too. Or bodge it up a bit with silicone.

I'd never be able make a brew around those without twitching. I'd rather see fresh unpainted untiled plaster than those I think. Sorry! :eek:

Reply to Is this shoddy tiling? Advice much appreciated! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks