Search the forum,

Discuss Is the slow down affecting you.?. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Craigcapewell

in my opinion the media have made the public panic and stop buying etc, once this dies down then things will pick up again, it may take a while but eventually the houses that desperatly need to be built will be built and people will go back to spending money on their homes. these things have happened before and will keep happening now and again but it will pass. the government have said that they will put money into the economy to help it out. its worth sitting it out and things will improve.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

I just hope people don't press the panic button and start undercutting prices, just gotta keep steady and ride it out imo:thumbsup:

S

Saltire69

The problem with the housing market is that the builders and banks got too greedy. Selling £200k houses to people on £25k a year was asking for trouble. Works not as busy as last year but got enough good paying jobs for the next month. Just got to keep chasing them.:thumbsup:

M

mkelly

ticking over but mainly gas and plumbing work
lots of people offering cut price work round here, been asked to match some stupid prices how they make it pay i will never know.
also been asked to go to two jobs that i did not get in the first place to put work right lol guess the reply ? (like a fool i did )

C

charlie1

The whole problem was created with the sub prime loans, not any conspiracy to spread negative rumours by the media. Any bank that touched that will be at serious risk as other banks will loose confidence in them and when that happens they will drop, there are lots of banks that affected to some degree or other and it all started in the states, they have now been in a ressesion for over a year and are well in to it. We are just waiting for the wave to fully hit.

There will be a lot more bank merges and a lot of larger companys gong out of business very shortly. This time 2 yrs from now the high street will look a lot different.

Worst case scenario is if the tile shops start going out the game. Imagine how much work you would have if your local lifeline clossed. This could happen at any time in the next year IMO thats how bad it is.

As LM say's he is worried about another tiler coming in and undercutting him, i would be less concerned with that and more concerned with the kitchen shop going under TBH.

You can also be very sure tilers will start to drop there prices just as SLC finds its own level. This will happen and already has, its an economic fact of business.

However there will be a cloud with a siver lining in all of this for someone, i dont know where but there will be loads of money to be made somewhere.

And so the cycle will begin again but untill then its time for plan B.

Life is full of cycles and some of the older guy's on this forum have seen it all before, but not as bad as this one IMVHO.

Right I really hate posting on this subject as i do not want to be percieved as a D&G merchant so i will alway's end any CC post on a posative.

Stay posative guy's the world will continue to spin at 1,038 miles per hour you can be sure of that and people cant move house so they will do there own up. B&Q will get very busy with people who really shouldn't be
DIY 'ing giving it a go, You you can imagine the mess that is going to be made in the coming yrs and after its all over it will need put right :grin:£££

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
the good news is that all the dross will fall by the wayside leaving plenty work for the good guys. if your good you will make it ,trust me im a tiler...:yes: :thumbsup:

M

MrE

the good news is that all the dross will fall by the wayside leaving plenty work for the good guys. if your good you will make it ,trust me im a tiler...:yes: :thumbsup:

Very true, and there is lots of that out there! I've been doing retail construction for the last 5yrs and that has not been affected. But I also remember the last recession and done the squirrel and nuts and saved ready for this one, so either or I'm fine. Best thing any tradesman can do is save your coin, any cash jobs and extra just bang it away and treat down time as a chance to rest, do your own house up and get on with your hobbies, mine being guitar & chess lol.

Prices will take a slamming if we go into recession, I remember double boarding into oak beams for £15 a day cash and was over the moon to get that in the last recession and that was coming off £140 a day only a few months before, but when the dust settled those of us that stayed were there for the mini boom - plus its then easier to go into other areas if you so wish ie Supervision, Foreman, Site Manager, Contracts Manager ETC becasue everyone else is almost new to the game. Swings n roundabouts, its simply seasons of money - hence the best advice is when its good save your nuts :)

B

brian c

my phone has went 4 times today for jobs,all toilets and got some good leads in the pipeline.

In addition to what CHARLIE1 has said above...imo..i feel that people are not moving house at the moment but are extending what they already have or renewing toilets,floors kitchens,so from that point of view i have been busier than i expected..i just hope it lasts into January. :thumbsup:

Does anyone agree with me on my coments? :hurray:

M

MrE

my phone has went 4 times today for jobs,all toilets and got some good leads in the pipeline.

In addition to what CHARLIE1 has said above...imo..i feel that people are not moving house at the moment but are extending what they already have or renewing toilets,floors kitchens,so from that point of view i have been busier than i expected..i just hope it lasts into January. :thumbsup:

Defo agree, had 3 calls from people this week for extensions that I've passed on to other people, and everyone I know is staying put and doing up their home to the place they wish they could move too. Same here phone busy, when I'm off trying to do my own home :)

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi bri,its my 1st year in business so i cant comment on past experience however iv been busy sept.oct nov non stop..not been too many bookings in last 2 weeks though and nowt on the books for december yet.heres hoping

G

graham31

I think your right about people doing their own houses.

Houses aren't selling at the moment (i should know mines isn't) and people aren't willing to drop their prices to a ridiculous level to get them sold not unless they have to.So people are modernising their own house waiting
for the next boom and what are the 2 rooms mostly done toilet and kitchen

Reply to Is the slow down affecting you.?. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen