Search the forum,

Discuss Is the slow down affecting you.?. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brian c

hi bri,its my 1st year in business so i cant comment on past experience however iv been busy sept.oct nov non stop..not been too many bookings in last 2 weeks though and nowt on the books for december yet.heres hoping
kilty do a leaflet drop and give your cards out etc...marketing campaign is what you need to do bud...do it,it will pay dividends for you but dont worry next few weeks you will be snowed under and moaning that you havent had a day off in so long...:grin:

K

kevemo

not got any tiling at the moment pretty lucky i do most things so keeping busy doing other things like laminate flooring ,decorating ect definatly the quietist since i went self employed 5 years ago got loads of people getting laid of in Hull so think its gonna get a lot worse
I also blame the media for stopping people spending everyone has panicked and stopped spending its the same thing everynight doom and gloom

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

with the interest rate cut today, will the peeps with money want to buy houses rather than have their savings dwindle in the bank? mmm

D

doug boardley

end of feb nowt booked in as yet, but 6 months work from mid march, lucky really 'cos developers I subby for aim at clients who don't need a mortgage, they just got a million or two to spare. (i bet they're not tilers!!)

C

charlie1

not got any tiling at the moment pretty lucky i do most things so keeping busy doing other things like laminate flooring ,decorating ect definatly the quietist since i went self employed 5 years ago got loads of people getting laid of in Hull so think its gonna get a lot worse
I also blame the media for stopping people spending everyone has panicked and stopped spending its the same thing everynight doom and gloom

It will get better but not before it gets much worse, its not the media thats stopping people spending there money its the banks. The banks that where loaning silly money out to people who could never repay them over the last 10yrs are in real trouble some banks are not affected but a lot are. The banks that where dealing in the subprime loans are obviously most at risk as 1 - they will never see most of the money they loaned out again and 2 - no other bank will touch them with a barge pole so these banks will be the first to go and there is plenty of them. Then the banks that loaned to them will be next, some will survive and some wont. The banks are in big trouble. So all the banks just want there money back, this is whats happening.

We have all heard the saying "save it for a rainy day", this is the rainy day but it will last about 5 yrs so dont be buying that new car you think you can afford, get a cheap one untill this is all over:thumbsup:

On a good note - If you do happen to have any cash in the coming year or two you will get a fantastic deal on just about anything for cash:grin:.

D

doug boardley

It will get better but not before it gets much worse, its not the media thats stopping people spending there money its the banks. The banks that where loaning silly money out to people who could never repay them over the last 10yrs are in real trouble some banks are not affected but a lot are. The banks that where dealing in the subprime loans are obviously most at risk as 1 - they will never see most of the money they loaned out again and 2 - no other bank will touch them with a barge pole so these banks will be the first to go and there is plenty of them. Then the banks that loaned to them will be next, some will survive and some wont. The banks are in big trouble. So all the banks just want there money back, this is whats happening.

We have all heard the saying "save it for a rainy day", this is the rainy day but it will last about 5 yrs so dont be buying that new car you think you can afford, get a cheap one untill this is all over:thumbsup:
On a good note - If you do happen to have any cash in the coming year or two you will get a fantastic deal on just about anything for cash:grin:.
be careful how you spend that cash, inland revenue might wonder how you got that designer clobber if you had no work!! oh and the banks do want their money back, they're not renewing my overdraft! ****ers!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

silver

Maybe I am trying to convince myself here ?....this is first major slow period for me since setting up two years ago.
Everyone has been led to expect double price gas / elec bills for the winter....plus all the other credit crunch s**t.
Then here we are in the run up to Crimbo...usually the "silly season" but it aint happened for me / most.. What do people do...tile the bathroom etc or hope to be able to cover the utility bill costs or even in some cases be able to turn it on ! Or do they see the kids right for christmas ? and have a christmas.
I reckon / hope its on the lines of "lets get the big bills in, sort the kids for Crimbo....and then take advantage of the sales in January and get the tiling done.
Cheered me up anyway !!:yes:

K

kevemo

does anyone else remember wot a pain it used to be years ago to get a bank loan i remember actualy having to sit down with tha bank manager and practicaly have to beg for the money ,unlike recently it was just a case of pick up the phone 2 minute talk and you had it

L

LM Ceramics

i ve been busy throughout the year but this month *** to a big slowdown not as busy now

N

nige123

yes big time! priced jobs and got them ,come to do them customer cant afford to have it done????? no money

F

floydyboy

i have had a flatout year, a bit 2 busy for my liking no time for myself, i have managed to secure work up until may wat will happen after that no1 knows enjoy it while i can cause its going to be a bumpy ride i think:8:

L

Lucas 2

eh? you reckon a lot of so-called 'tilers' tile onto chipboard ? True, I did re-do one floor which was laid onto chipboard which had turned into a cracked-up mess in less than a year. But I don't believe that many tilers are that crooked to tile onto chipboard.....

M

medlar

eh? you reckon a lot of so-called 'tilers' tile onto chipboard ? True, I did re-do one floor which was laid onto chipboard which had turned into a cracked-up mess in less than a year. But I don't believe that many tilers are that crooked to tile onto chipboard.....

seen a few floors tiled onto chipboard mate,in fact nothing in tiling surprises me anymore

Reply to Is the slow down affecting you.?. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen