Search the forum,

Discuss Is the slow down affecting you.?. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SR Tiling

Its terrible at the moment. Been Tiling for 11 years, Got all my NVq`s, Worked on practically everything including showrooms etc, Done a bit of teaching and at the moment cant find work for love nor money, Private work Is practically dead as nobody is having new kitchens, bathrooms etc. Newbuilds practically dead aswell and no companys at all seem to taking anyone on (Quite understandable). In my local tile shops there must be 60 different cards on the counter (not sure how many of those are qualified time served tilers though). In my opinion its not just the credit crunch whats afected it, its also the amount have people who have thought "tiling will be a nice easy job that i can learn to do on a 3 week course and earn loads of money" Its not so long ago i had to turn down more work than i could take on.

Steve

C

charlie1

Dont want to be doom and gloom mearchant but this situation is going to get worse than many of you can imagine.

If you think its not affecting me and it wont really get that bad you are living in false hope. The reason you are not really felling it yet is because we (working class) are at the end of the cycle and will be the last to feel it. The banks are at the start and are a total mess and we have a while to go before we are really in to it yet.

From this point on we are now starting to feel it and it is going to continue to get worse for the next 4 yrs untill it gets better.

Your home is now worth less than last year but the good news is it is worth a great deal more than iot will be 2 yrs from now, Believe me!!

If you have any debt get it paid now as you will be first to feel the pinch.

If you ahve any savings use them to pay your debt.:yes:

Do not pretend this is not going to happen and everything will be fine because it will and it will affect everyone who reads this post wether you like it or not.

As i say, i do not wish to spread doom and gloom and have wondered if i should even post this message or not as I do not want to put the shi**ers up any one wishing to start fresh. This is not the time IMO.

Get rid of yer debt now:thumbsup:

Please dont read this and feel I am D&G mearchant its only my opinion.:thumbsup:
Take it or leave it.

L

LM Ceramics

cheers charlie u p*ssed on my fireworks there jokin aside hes right i can see it gettin alot worse at the moment im turnin work away im fully booked but for how long who knows im always on my toes lookin for new work just incase the kitchen firm im doin alot of work for have had 4 tilers in last week askin for work and they are cheaper than me they like me but if it gets worse they could turn round and say business is business you must keep ur options open

B

brian c

Mark you are a d and g merchant,thanks for ruining my night.:mad2:(only joking)

I agree with most of what you have said and it is definetly not the time to start up a business ...imo..especially if working class.

On the other hand its good for people who do have money as they can buy properties at reduced rates and sit in them before the financial crisis ends then sell them at a good profit.

C

Craigcapewell

in my opinion the media have made the public panic and stop buying etc, once this dies down then things will pick up again, it may take a while but eventually the houses that desperatly need to be built will be built and people will go back to spending money on their homes. these things have happened before and will keep happening now and again but it will pass. the government have said that they will put money into the economy to help it out. its worth sitting it out and things will improve.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

charlie1

The whole problem was created with the sub prime loans, not any conspiracy to spread negative rumours by the media. Any bank that touched that will be at serious risk as other banks will loose confidence in them and when that happens they will drop, there are lots of banks that affected to some degree or other and it all started in the states, they have now been in a ressesion for over a year and are well in to it. We are just waiting for the wave to fully hit.

There will be a lot more bank merges and a lot of larger companys gong out of business very shortly. This time 2 yrs from now the high street will look a lot different.

Worst case scenario is if the tile shops start going out the game. Imagine how much work you would have if your local lifeline clossed. This could happen at any time in the next year IMO thats how bad it is.

As LM say's he is worried about another tiler coming in and undercutting him, i would be less concerned with that and more concerned with the kitchen shop going under TBH.

You can also be very sure tilers will start to drop there prices just as SLC finds its own level. This will happen and already has, its an economic fact of business.

However there will be a cloud with a siver lining in all of this for someone, i dont know where but there will be loads of money to be made somewhere.

And so the cycle will begin again but untill then its time for plan B.

Life is full of cycles and some of the older guy's on this forum have seen it all before, but not as bad as this one IMVHO.

Right I really hate posting on this subject as i do not want to be percieved as a D&G merchant so i will alway's end any CC post on a posative.

Stay posative guy's the world will continue to spin at 1,038 miles per hour you can be sure of that and people cant move house so they will do there own up. B&Q will get very busy with people who really shouldn't be
DIY 'ing giving it a go, You you can imagine the mess that is going to be made in the coming yrs and after its all over it will need put right :grin:£££

M

MrE

the good news is that all the dross will fall by the wayside leaving plenty work for the good guys. if your good you will make it ,trust me im a tiler...:yes: :thumbsup:

Very true, and there is lots of that out there! I've been doing retail construction for the last 5yrs and that has not been affected. But I also remember the last recession and done the squirrel and nuts and saved ready for this one, so either or I'm fine. Best thing any tradesman can do is save your coin, any cash jobs and extra just bang it away and treat down time as a chance to rest, do your own house up and get on with your hobbies, mine being guitar & chess lol.

Prices will take a slamming if we go into recession, I remember double boarding into oak beams for £15 a day cash and was over the moon to get that in the last recession and that was coming off £140 a day only a few months before, but when the dust settled those of us that stayed were there for the mini boom - plus its then easier to go into other areas if you so wish ie Supervision, Foreman, Site Manager, Contracts Manager ETC becasue everyone else is almost new to the game. Swings n roundabouts, its simply seasons of money - hence the best advice is when its good save your nuts :)

B

brian c

my phone has went 4 times today for jobs,all toilets and got some good leads in the pipeline.

In addition to what CHARLIE1 has said above...imo..i feel that people are not moving house at the moment but are extending what they already have or renewing toilets,floors kitchens,so from that point of view i have been busier than i expected..i just hope it lasts into January. :thumbsup:

Does anyone agree with me on my coments? :hurray:

M

MrE

my phone has went 4 times today for jobs,all toilets and got some good leads in the pipeline.

In addition to what CHARLIE1 has said above...imo..i feel that people are not moving house at the moment but are extending what they already have or renewing toilets,floors kitchens,so from that point of view i have been busier than i expected..i just hope it lasts into January. :thumbsup:

Defo agree, had 3 calls from people this week for extensions that I've passed on to other people, and everyone I know is staying put and doing up their home to the place they wish they could move too. Same here phone busy, when I'm off trying to do my own home :)

G

graham31

I think your right about people doing their own houses.

Houses aren't selling at the moment (i should know mines isn't) and people aren't willing to drop their prices to a ridiculous level to get them sold not unless they have to.So people are modernising their own house waiting
for the next boom and what are the 2 rooms mostly done toilet and kitchen

Reply to Is the slow down affecting you.?. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.