Discuss Installing 20mm porcelain tiles in garden, can I use regular building sand+cement? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
As the title suggests I'm hoping to get some good advice from you folks about tile adhesive for tiling 20mm porcelain tiles in a garden.

The base hasn't been prepared yet but I imagine it will be 75mm concrete to an area of 8M x 4M. Forgive my ignorance but I haven't done this before so i'm wondering; can I use regular mortar or do I need to use a specific adhesive for this? Thank you!

I'm using this particular tile: Maverick Grey Outdoor Slab Tiles - https://www.tilemountain.co.uk/floor-tiles-by-colour/p/maverick-grey-outdoor-slab-tile.html

Reaction score
Sand and cement mortar bed will not bond to porcelain tiles. If you're going to bed them on wet sand/cement mortar then some kind of bonding agent will need to be applied to the back of the tile. I've never used it but Azpects Easyprime is something I've seen used.
For my own slate patio I screeded it and used tile adhesive and it's been fine. If you go with the tile adhesive I'd recommend a Pourable Thick Base (PTB) adhesive and make sure it's a full bed under the tiles. Ideally you don't want any voids where water can collect and freeze.

Reaction score
As the title suggests I'm hoping to get some good advice from you folks about tile adhesive for tiling 20mm porcelain tiles in a garden.

The base hasn't been prepared yet but I imagine it will be 75mm concrete to an area of 8M x 4M. Forgive my ignorance but I haven't done this before so i'm wondering; can I use regular mortar or do I need to use a specific adhesive for this? Thank you!

I'm using this particular tile: Maverick Grey Outdoor Slab Tiles - https://www.tilemountain.co.uk/floor-tiles-by-colour/p/maverick-grey-outdoor-slab-tile.html
Im about to do a patio in exactly the same tiles, let me know how it goes please.

D

Deleted member 56784

Hi All, we do a system for external porcelain, why not take a look at our Rock Tite system. It consists of Mortar, Primer and Brush in grout. Go on to our web site at Norcros Adhesives and find out, it may or may not work for you if you haven't go your concrete base down yet. Its a permeable system and requires a hardcore base.

Happy to answer any questions if you have any.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just finished this one recently, 20 mm porcelain tiles to steps and patio, set on a 100mm reinforced concrete slab. Used mapei keraquick adhesive 12 mm notch on the slab 8mm on the tile. (achieving full bed is a must).

l believe you can use sand and cement and slurry the back of tile, however this is used predominantly on a compacted hardcore base using a fairly weak cement concrete sand bed. Something like 1:6. ( no experience of this method personally) .
840C8D0E-22C0-435E-9A9D-A54B50D2CD77.jpeg

Reply to Installing 20mm porcelain tiles in garden, can I use regular building sand+cement? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks