Search the forum,

Discuss hair line cracks on wall tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

spraggie

I have just tiled a shower using rapid set Mapei cement and 150mm * 70mm white bonded tiles onto a soid ashlar wall. Having grouted with grey grout I can see that about 10 tiles have hairline cracks. Two of these cracks continue across two tiles so would dictate that cracks were not on the tiles before. I am going to have to replace them but am worried that the cracks may continue to appear. Any suggestions as to what caused this as I know the client will be on my case tommorrow!! Cheers.

W

White Room

Hi and welcome....you say ashler wall, the only wall like that is a rendered wall with lines cut into it so it looks like stone work.

R

ruairi mac

Hi and Welcome. Could be wrong but are the tiles very thin? maybe the rapid set drying so quickly is an issue??
Or the fact that the crack continues across two tiles might suggest a joint line in the substrate?

Reaction score
It's most likely movement in substrate, take the tiles off and you will see crack in substrate, replacing tiles will not help,
you might have to overboard the wall
good luck

S

spraggie

The tiles are 6mm. I was thinking the same as the tile cement was going off so fast maybe it was affecting the tiles. Should I have wetted the ceramic tiles on the back first?

S

spraggie

I have taken one tile of and cannot see any cracking in substrate. The cracks are litterally on the glaze and do not penetrate through the whoe tile?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
sounds like slight shrinkage has moved the tiles a tad,and just cracked the glaze if its not gone all the way through,could be a bad batch of tiles/glazing,
or like you say,maybe if you soaked them,could of stopped them drying out quicker than the setting of the addy

R

ruairi mac

Hi Flaggy don't like to contradict you but I wouldn't be a big fan of ready mixed adhesive, especially in a shower!
For me it would be tank the walls then just use a slow set cement based adhesive, would probably mean coming back to grout the next day but hopefully should leave you with no comebacks.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Sounds like crazing to me, this was a problem back in the day when tiles were fixed in sand and cement.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
but would crazing follow the tiles right across a few in a line which he said,which would prob be slight movement causing the crazing phil?

Reply to hair line cracks on wall tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen