Discuss Granite Tile Lifted From Bathroom Floor ? Any Advise in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jason591

Hi
I have a granite tile lifted from the bathroom floor . I cant remove the tile as there is hardly any space between each tile . Is there anything i can do to without breaking the tile to remove it . I dont want to damage the connecting tiles? The floor was done three years ago and i think water had got to one weak tile?

14573377482202075991985.jpg

Q

Qwerty

Minimum grout joint size in this situation is 3mm.......your tiles look as if they have been butt jointed. Lateral movement (expansion) looks like it's pushed a tile up here.

I assume this is on a wooden floor?

Do you know what prep was done prior to fixing the tiles?

Any other photos please?

Your floor will likely fail again if the tile is fixed back in situ.

Try a suction cup lifter to pull the offending tile up......something like this......Suction Pad - Toolstation

T

Tile Shop

Are you sure thats Granite? looks like Quartz with a silver speckle. Granite normally has a copper coloured speckle.

If it is quartz, it could be more susceptible to expansion/contraction with temperature change. Any underfloor heating present or hot water pipes running under the floor?

As above regarding grout joints. regardless of the type of tile, but more important with a natural product. where abouts in the room has the tile lifted? around the edge or in the centre?

And do you know or have any record of how the floor was prepped and what adhesive was used?

H

hmtiling

As above, grout joint not big enough and should have been fixed with latex based adhesive

J

Just Rizzle

only way you might get it up if the addy is week is by using a suction puller like a glass fitter uses . scrape out grout first then a bit of leverage

P

p4ulo

What is the access like from underneath?? if its over a cellar or a suspended floor you can get at from underneath, do loads of measurements from a fixed position (wastepipe or something) to ensure you are in the right place, and drill a few fat holes up from underneath then try and push up from underneath??

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Doesn't look like there are any joints to rake out!
Suction puller is probably best bet....any prising could damage neighbouring tile.. May find once you get that tile up others may be loose as well...hopefully not... Good luck;)

Reply to Granite Tile Lifted From Bathroom Floor ? Any Advise in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks