Discuss Fixing to Calcium Sulphate Screed & drying times in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

wetdec

Using an anhydrite screed is not a problem provided its treated correctly.

When the screed is dried out properly( to 0.5% moisture), remove any latency with a scraper, wire brushes or sanding then hoovering up all dust.

If you have a wet under floor heating system installed increase the temperature in incriments until full heat is reached then work backwards, this procedure helps in the drying process of the screed and aids curing.

When dust free use your adhesive maufacturer recomended sealer to seal the floor, this protects the screed and should be done in opposing directions to ensure coverage. It is important that guidence is saught from the adhesive manufacturer as the bond to screed is their territory.

Screeds move even after drying due to expansion and contraction especially when using wet under floor heating and can cause tiled surfaces to crack from latteral deflection. To combat this cracking an uncoupling membrane such as Ditra (1) or Dura-Ci membrane should be fixed before tiling.

Cut to size and laid using a flexible tile adhesive the membrane is easily tiled over. The membrane acts to protect the screed from moisture from above so should therefore be sealed properly. The channels in the membrane aid air movement over ufh and during adhesive drying.

(1)Please check Ditra for their fixing instructions

There are always questions re gypsum / anhydrite screeds, hope this goes some way to answering some of them. :thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Ajax - Thanks for the contact - will give you a call as I really need to get this floor down now. Based in Midlands 15 mins from Bham NEC.

Appreciated. Cat

That's bleedin typical as I was in Solihull and Coventry today -could ave called - never mind. Give me a shout tomorrow and I will do what I can to help.

D

doug boardley

just to add on for people that are not familiar with laitence, up north, we call it cream or fat, it's the watery residue that rises to the surface after a concrete pour, it has no structural integrity at all.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Cat

Is your tiling finished now? How did it go?

Reply to Fixing to Calcium Sulphate Screed & drying times in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks