Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing large ceramic tiles to cement render - What adhesive is best? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Level-Headed

Hi

I'm a newish DIYer and needing to fix large (300x600mm) tiles to a even cement render in a bathroom.

As the base is good and smooth, I'd thought I'd tile straight onto it. Does the surface need sealing first? Been suggested to use APD primer?

Also have got BAL White Star but not sure it's the correct adhesive. Can this be used with render rather than plaster? Will it be strong enough for large tiles? Or flexible enough?

Also what about Rapid set flexible - would this be better?

Any advice much appreciated!

G

grumpygrouter

White star is not suitable for tiles of that dimension. Rapid set flexy would be fine, though normal rapidset would be fine and cheaper. I doesn't need priming but it wouldn't hurt to do so (BAL Prime APD).

F

Fekin

600 x 300 tiles are too big to be using a dispersion adhesive like Whitestar, you need to use cement based adhesive.

Yes, prime the walls with an acrylic primer like Bals APD, but this isn't to seal the wall, it's to just give a good surface to tile onto.

You didn't say what the tiles are made from, ceramic, porcelain or natural stone etc, but a rapid set flexi would be fine for almost any tile type, but you have to remember it's called rapid set for a reason, so it depends on how quick you are at tiling, as the bucket of rapid set will go off quickly.
To give yourself pleanty of time you can use a standard setting cement based adhesive that will be good to use for a few hours once mixed up, compared to 20 to 30 mins for rapidset.

So, it depends on what tile it is, as to wether it needs extra flexi in the addy and grout.

Welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

Beaten by the grumps again :lol:

I seem to be going through a phase of priming everything for some reason now :grin:

Morning grumpy :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome.....

Dispersion adhesives are not really suitable for that format of tile.....
I take it they are porcelain bodies tiles at that size...if so then depending on how fast you work then a flexible rapidsetting adhesive or slower set is needed...I personally use BAL SPF but Mapei make some good adhesives as well..just depends on what you can get hold of.....

I would prime as well , as this will control any surface dust and provide a good key for the adhesive...

good luck and let us know how you get on......:thumbsup:

Reply to Fixing large ceramic tiles to cement render - What adhesive is best? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen