Search the forum,

Discuss Filling depression in plasterboard in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to tile a walk-in shower with 30x60 wall tiles that resemble coffered concrete planks. I’ve put a straight edge against the plasterboard wall (tanked) and can see that over the 2m length it bows in by about 10mm in the middle and then back out.

Will I need to rough skim with plaster in the middle to take the hollow out of the wall? If so, what is the best product to do that?

Alternatively, can I risk taking that depth out with tile adhesive or will I be pushing my luck?

Thanks in advance for any help offered

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I did fill the gap with a layer of tile adhesive but I now realise I will have exceeded the maximum load for plasterboard over the central 2 square metres of the job. The job is done now so there isn’t much I can do except worry! If I have gone over the recommended weight limit will it fail quite quickly or will the plasterboard behind slowly collapse?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I did fill the gap with a layer of tile adhesive but I now realise I will have exceeded the maximum load for plasterboard over the central 2 square metres of the job. The job is done now so there isn’t much I can do except worry! If I have gone over the recommended weight limit will it fail quite quickly or will the plasterboard behind slowly collapse?
It’s gunna be fine. Don’t stress. 👍

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It’s an ok job for an amateur! Don’t look too closely though!

stress is my middle name lol. Thanks for the encouragement though. I’m around 40kg per sq metre rather than 32
That’s not overkill on PB. I had a conversation with a rep from British gypsum and he said the weight limits were set years ago and the quality of the bond between paper and gypsum core is a lot better than years ago when these limits were set. And in his opinion pb holds much more. Its just guide to go by.

Reply to Filling depression in plasterboard in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice! I'm re-tiling my shower after needing to rip...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen