Discuss Female Tilers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

anne0411

Hello - another newbie on this site - i've been tiling on a part-time basis for about a year now, based in north london.

business name - it's difficult as so many names can just come out salacious! female touch, laid by a woman etc etc i went with 'the tiling goddess' my sister came up with the name and i know it's a pinch from nigella but hey it's rememberable!

i've created a blogspot with a counter (at least that way i can see how many people have been looking and you can get them free on't net. there's also some free website to advertise on: movethat.com; leaveittotheladies.com; askyourneighbour.co.uk

i'm really bad at going around newsagents etc and keep meaning to find the kitchen fitters at b&q, mfi, ikea etc etc

hope that helps, but remember to jump in with both feet you know we're better than the boys 'cos we clean up after ourselves! LOL!

B

busyalready

Hiya I was just wondering if there was any more Female tilers on this site? If there is please get intouch id love to know how yous are doing!! Thank you

Hi Leanne,
I have been meaning to reply to your message for a while. I went on Darren's course in January this year and left my real job to tile full time in February. I have been kept pretty busy and am about to get my new van lettered up with my business name and phone number. I know you were working at North East Tiling Training with Darren and had just left prior to me going on the course. I have been tiling for about 15 years for myself and friends and family and made the decision to go professional for financial reasons and because I enjoyed tiling.

I have had a few tricky jobs and have underestimated time and consequently underpriced my jobs a few times but I am getting better.

The only thing I seem to struggle with is getting a good enough finish when siliconing.

The way Darren showed us on the course was okay ( I still mess up!) but I have seen really perfect sealing on a few kitchens and bathroom and have heard that there is some tool or system available that gives a great finish. My pal said she saw something on one of those shopping channels - do you know anything about it?

The reason I am asking is that I have the chance to do the tiling on a few new buids near where I live but I am not happy with my sealing and that is the only thing holding me back from taking on the work.

Hope you can help and hope your own business is going well.

Cheers

Margaret (from fife up in scotland!)

T

tony TLC

hi leanne starting a new business is going to be hard but stick to your guns and maybe do friends and family (mates rates)first to get other costomers to see you work sounds like a good idea advertising as a bird(sorry)
try to contact local tilers to get more on site work
i use new tilers a lot,stright out of collage they get experience i get cheap labour it works for me.
tstick with it there is a lot of work out there let people now you want it

L

Leanne

Hi Leanne,
I have been meaning to reply to your message for a while. I went on Darren's course in January this year and left my real job to tile full time in February. I have been kept pretty busy and am about to get my new van lettered up with my business name and phone number. I know you were working at North East Tiling Training with Darren and had just left prior to me going on the course. I have been tiling for about 15 years for myself and friends and family and made the decision to go professional for financial reasons and because I enjoyed tiling.

I have had a few tricky jobs and have underestimated time and consequently underpriced my jobs a few times but I am getting better.

The only thing I seem to struggle with is getting a good enough finish when siliconing.

The way Darren showed us on the course was okay ( I still mess up!) but I have seen really perfect sealing on a few kitchens and bathroom and have heard that there is some tool or system available that gives a great finish. My pal said she saw something on one of those shopping channels - do you know anything about it?

The reason I am asking is that I have the chance to do the tiling on a few new buids near where I live but I am not happy with my sealing and that is the only thing holding me back from taking on the work.

Hope you can help and hope your own business is going well.

Cheers

Margaret (from fife up in scotland!)

hiya thank you for your message and sorry i didnt reply sooner! im really glad youve done so well for your self i hope to get there some day! theres a few hurdles for me 2 jump 1st! and as for the silicone i dont know any other way then darrens way have you asked any1 on here about it? x

G

GazTech

I've just lost one of my favourite traders Clare of CH tiling in Preston,she traded with us and has been a proffessional for over 8 years.She has a great portfolio and her customers adore her.Sad to see her go but she's moving to Bristol then to her place in France.There are very few occasions where brut strength is needed in tiling,just a bit of thought and patience and ladies all remember shiny side up!

A

anne0411

shiny side up - my arse!

just finished my victorian geometric course - loved it! there's a couple of other girls starting out and it reminded me of language and logic - men think in numbers, facts and figures. whereas us girls think in pictures, look and feel. i keep explaining to the 2 girls my way as opposed to the tutors. it's the same language just a different accent! ;-)

G

GazTech

shiny side up - my arse!

just finished my victorian geometric course - loved it! there's a couple of other girls starting out and it reminded me of language and logic - men think in numbers, facts and figures. whereas us girls think in pictures, look and feel. i keep explaining to the 2 girls my way as opposed to the tutors. it's the same language just a different accent! ;-)
I think maybe a sense of humour also is good !:wink_smile:

Reply to Female Tilers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay