Discuss External balcony waterproofing and tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mike111

Hi everyone

I have two external balconys that need refurbishment as leaking,

The maintenance guy on site / block of flats , seems to think the construction of the balconys is as,

1 reinforced concrete construction
2 bitumen/asphalt waterproofing
3 quarry tiles finish
4 5mtr x 2 Mtr
5 drain 300mm in from one corner
There is a good gradient , but he is not sure if this was a screed under the asphalt or on top.

You all know the score regarding asphalt/bitumen and tile adhesive gaurantee.

schluter have said that they do not have a total system for this application I.e waterproofing and uncoupling membrane.

Mapei I did use a couple of years ago on a balcony on the same flats , aqua seal I think, on top of old tiles but there was no substrate movement and worked fine , but I don't think I will use for this situation as a lot of substrate movement.

I have two questions

1 what is the best construction to take it all back to the reinforced concrete ?

2 What is the best way to proceed if I can remove quarry tiles and leave the asphalt inplace , with then just repairing /resealing the asphalt.

any help would be great Mike.

W

WetSaw

I've just done a terrace with a flexible polyester resin waterproofing membrane, 25 year guarantee!. I'm in Spain but I'm sure there's similar products in the UK.

M

mike111

I've just done a terrace with a flexible polyester resin waterproofing membrane, 25 year guarantee!. I'm in Spain but I'm sure there's similar products in the UK.

What was the product name , I had thought of this but not used one before , but I will look into this, but sounds good, thanks Mike

AZ Tile

TF
Reaction score
Mike, my experience here in the States is if you can properly fix or patch the asphalt waterproofing, then use a cleavage membrane over the asphalt and under a 2x2 inch wire reinforced mud bed(4-5 parts sand to 1 part cement) that is properly pitched a 1/4 inch per foot to the drain or away from the structure. I am not a fan of asphalt waterproofing, so if you can get back to the concrete and use a complete system from Mapei, that would be the way to go.

M

mike111

Thanks for replies , I think I will take right back and use mapei if possible or a company called tri flex sounds good , thanks again Mike

Reply to External balcony waterproofing and tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay