Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Dusty unclean slate floor look after sealing in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

ecswtrav

Hi All,
Hoping someone can help. I've had rather a lot of work done on my property - inlcluding the laying of a slate floor in the kitchen. Unfortunately I've had it done by some general builders who I've since had a fall out with. The work was done whilst I've been away on returning they've clearly grouted it without any sealing first. Anyway, I since cleaned up the slate with a HG cleaner which took me forever. I had it all looking nice and bought some Liberon stone floor sealer which is linseed oil based. Anyway, the floor looked great with the colours enhanced and a satin ish finish. once I'd put several coatings on and I left it a good 24hrs before walking on it. All fine.

Anyway, with work being done in the place the inevitable dust and dirty feet marks made their way onto the floor. I expected that with it being sealed I could just use a normal stone cleaner - in this case a liberon one, and give it a quick scrub and rinse.
Anyway, after doing so the floor has dried almost as if it hasn't been sealed. I'm back to that unsealed dusty look and it looks terrible.
Is there a product I should have used that would allow me to clean off dust and restore the original sealed appearance or is this one of the drawbacks of using slate. I have another product I decided not to use - LTP colour intensifier. Should I have perhaps used this instead? Or should I give it another clean, coat of the sealer and then apply Liberon stone floor wax over the top? I just dont want to create more scrubbing for myself!!!!

Thanks a lot

D

Dougs Third Go

I'm not familiar with Liberon, do you know if it's a topical or impregnating sealer?

E

ecswtrav

Its a colour enhancer stone floor sealer and I believe its an impregnator. Very difficult to remove the website says. They also have a stone floor shine which shines and protects stone floors which i believe you can put on top for high traffic areas like the kitchen this is in.

I just don't want to purchase it for for it to cover with dust again and come up looking awful when I've cleaned it. I've had a go this evening at cleaning a small section once again with the cleaner and once more it's dried out terrible with white ingrained dust marks in it and a faded appearance.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Personally if your having that much work done, cover the floor up , stop dust getting on it, all that walking on it, grinding dust into the slate will do it no good at all

Reply to Dusty unclean slate floor look after sealing in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks