Discuss Do I need to tank / waterproof Hardiebacker???? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Perfect Tiling

Hi all. I have had to take over completing a wet room after the original tiler became unavailable. Only the floor and shower tray are to be tiled as the walls are wetwall. Customer wants the floor and tray tanked and up the walls about 200mm. He has got hardibacker to overlay the floor but i'm not sure about tanking over all of that (about 4 sq mtrs in total). I know hardibacker is waterproof so think I only need to tank all joints and corners where it meets the walls. Also hardibacker is the best surface to tile to. If the customer still says he wants the floor to be fully tanked will it be better to just put down ply and tank over it completely. thanks.

D

doug boardley

it's a misconception, hardie is water resistant, not waterproof. Water will pass through it without it degrading that's all:thumbsup:

W

White Room

Hardie is water resistant, will not break down when wet but can still get soaked, so I would tank...

Whats wetwall ???

P

Perfect Tiling

Thanks guys...should have realised it would let water past..just like powder addy. So would you guys put in hardibacker and tank it or just put down ply which is cheaper. I take it that hardibacker is easy to tank...just like plasterboard.
Wetwall is those big shiny laminated sheets of MDF...just stuck to the walls with silicon type adhesive. Not what I would recommend for a wet room...but as I said I have been lumbered with the tiling of the floor.

S

simon1

From the Wetwall website

Specification

Wetwall panels are constructed of Medite Exterior Grade MDF, covered on the face with high pressure laminate and balancing laminate to the back of the panel. Our waterproof gluelines are D4 rated. Wetwall panels come with a 10 year guarantee **

Reply to Do I need to tank / waterproof Hardiebacker???? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks