Search the forum,

Discuss Do all Porcelain tiles need cleaning before sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

slikt

Hi Guys,

Most of you are probably getting bored of me now. . lol

Yet another question about my flooring. . I bought some polished Porcelain from Tile Giant (Jakarta Vanilla) the guy said that they would need sealing, so I bought some LTP MPG, but now the tiles are down, they look, slightly matt in places, is this wax and if it isnt, do they still need to be cleaned first, before sealing. . .

. . also, do they need sealing before grouting (same colour as the tile) as I was told to just seal afterwards?

Cheers everyone for your help so far, without it I would of defo fooked up somewhere :thumbsup:

S

slikt

Hi Kilty, i'll pick some up in the morning. . any recommendations mate? Also i've never used MPG before, am I to assume that this will seal the grout and stop it from staining etc?

D

doug boardley

your tiles want to be free from dirt, transit wax, and bone dry before you seal them, mpg is an excellent choice:thumbsup:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hmm are you laying white grout did you say

kitchen floor? high traffic.....personally i would opt for another colour

D

Daz

I usually fix Jakarta Vanilla with white adhesive, grout with Mapei Ultracolour Jasmin or Ardex FS Classic Vanilla. The tiles do not have a transit wax from my experience and are not the most porous polished porcelain that I have used. The grouting and washing process seems to clean the tiles sufficiently, so that they are ready for application of LTP MPG after a couple of days.

Go careful & good luck,

Daz

S

slikt

I usually fix Jakarta Vanilla with white adhesive, grout with Mapei Ultracolour Jasmin or Ardex FS Classic Vanilla. The tiles do not have a transit wax from my experience and are not the most porous polished porcelain that I have used. The grouting and washing process seems to clean the tiles sufficiently, so that they are ready for application of LTP MPG after a couple of days.

Go careful & good luck,

Daz

Hi mate,

Yeah I have done the same, used white Pro Flexible and got Jazmin grout, the tiles are down and look stunning, bloody hard work to lay them, but well happy with the result. :hurray:

So would you say just to grout them, then clean them off with water and buff, then after a few days seal with MPG, or should I use a cleaner. I just dont wanna discolour the grout as never used such a light colour on the floor before?

Cheers

D

Daz

Personally, I move straight to grouting. As long as you don't leave the grout too long, change the water regularly, and ensure that the tiles are thoroughly clean, then you will be fine to seal after a couple of days.

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but make sure that you take the time to follow the Mapei Ultracolour mixing instructions, too, so that you avoid the danger of patchy colouring.

Daz

Reply to Do all Porcelain tiles need cleaning before sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen