Discuss Dismayed with poor tiling in bathroom...advice needed in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
The tiler has done an awful job on our bathroom. There are lips, poor grout lines, poor cuts, poor layout, poorly finished and mismatched trim with the main issue for me being around the window.
Yesterday he came back to finish off but we came to an agreement for him to walk away as I wasn’t happy and had no faith in him to rectify any problems. We settled on an amount of money whereby he paid me the purchase price of my tiles.
However the plumber I have used knows a tiler and he came to look at it yesterday afternoon. He was shocked at the quality and has suggested at least one plasterboard wall is cut out, re-boarded and re-tiled but the window is tricky due to the height of the top row.
The new tiler has pointed out so many issues that I had not noticed I just want the whole lot ripped out, re-boarded and started from fresh. They both said this was a big job but I really don’t know if I can live with the mistakes.
Could I push for compensation from the original tiler for the work? The thing is he wanted an email sent straight away to say the matter was resolved. At that point, though I didn’t know the extent of the problems and I now feel cheated.
I’m gutted and my missus is devastated. Any advice on moving forward? I’ve thought about going to trading standards.

306637BB-948A-4986-9455-8AE7EFF69DC0.jpeg

27D5F256-76C5-4CD5-BA16-9DC1106D6E6C.jpeg

F3B06EBD-84CA-4D0F-9D7C-76D59D0D3B4C.jpeg

9E3CC7FA-75A7-4593-92C9-979D14FC199A.jpeg

B2FA729A-1FBB-40CC-B5A0-8E079665992E.jpeg

C49019CC-15C3-48B9-8866-6AA2DE1830C4.jpeg

Reaction score
Forgot to mention. The new tiler said the adhesive is powder, cement based so will destroy the walls if we try and remove. There are 2 stud walls and 2 dot and dab walls.

Leader

TF
Reaction score
Hi their , sorry to hear what you have gone through , but i think you have answered your own question and just get a competent tiler in to take the whole lot down and restart again. As for compensation i would list all the issues you have and send them in a email and document everything and give him so many days to respond and if he is honest hopefully come to some sort of agreement with yourself......i wouldnt hold out much hope on that though. But in the mean time get some citizen advice and they will direct you on what actions to take and will more than likely end up in a small claims court.

But the work that has been done is bad to say the least but im surprised he even took your money.
When the work is being taken down get some photos taken so that you can see what has been done behind the tiles , the more proof who have of bad workmanship the better your argument for compensation to at least recoup money paid.

T

Time's Ran Out

In a nutshell - you came to an agreement!
You have to give him an opportunity to put right his shoddy work - that didn’t happen . Move on and learn.
It’s easy to criticise others work so check your new tilers portfolio.
@Leader - an agreement was reached, the 1st ‘tiler’ paid him for the tiles. The OP will be chasing a no result if he dwells on it!
Just my opinion.

Reaction score
The agreement we came to yesterday was for him to pay for my tiles. However that was before I noticed even more shoddy work and now the other faults the second tiler has pointed out. I think he was maybe being cute yesterday morning as he knew he would be getting off lightly by buying back my tiles. I’m just so annoyed with both him and myself for not doing more homework. I found him via checkatrade with good reviews and I really liked him when he came for the estimate. The estimate seemed fair and professionally laid out too.

Leader

TF
Reaction score
You are rightfully annoyed and you stated you dont like looking at the work that has been done so your options are is to either get it all redone again or redo some of it so that your happy with it. As for claiming back some of your money you need some sort of legal advice and document why your not happy with it. But as the others said you did come to an agreement so it will be a long drawn out process which will cost you time and money.......Its not nice what happened but sometimes you have to accept it and move on.

D

Dumbo

To be honest I'm looking at that and all that seems wrong is the trim work . That could be sorted . That gap by the door would immediately look better with a clever piece of silicone work . You have one lippy tile . The corner would look better if the grout was raked out and it was siliconed .

Reaction score
To be honest I'm looking at that and all that seems wrong is the trim work . That could be sorted . That gap by the door would immediately look better with a clever piece of silicone work . You have one lippy tile . The corner would look better if the grout was raked out and it was siliconed .

I thought that initially but it looks worse in person. There are loads of lips.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm not up to speed with check a trade but can you not perhaps contact them? could save it happening to someone else

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I doubt it’s as easy as leaving a good review, I bet there is a rectification procedure etc before you can leave negative feedback.
I bet it’s really difficult.

The site won’t work/make money if it’s full of bad reviews.

D

Dumbo

I doubt it’s as easy as leaving a good review, I bet there is a rectification procedure etc before you can leave negative feedback.
I bet it’s really difficult.

The site won’t work/make money if it’s full of bad reviews.
Maybe he could try and let us know

Reply to Dismayed with poor tiling in bathroom...advice needed in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks