Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Poor tiling gap at top of tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi
I am trying to correct some work performed by my tiler. I have sent photos to him of the things I’m not happy with but he can’t see the issue.
The trims are cut awfully? Can we cover these in any way?
There is a gap about an inch above the shower wall tiles where he said he couldn’t get a tile in there
I have attached lots of pictures any advice will be appreciated

Attachments

• BD5E1EA0-5D4D-4EE6-9431-E0F86A6C69E5.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 75
  • FB57752A-889B-4883-9075-834DDFB5D207.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 69
  • B82D7FC3-861B-44E0-BC0C-8B9F94FC7840.jpeg
    566.8 KB · Views: 68
  • BB5E44A5-5BDC-4636-AC21-7A76955894C5.jpeg
    531.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 25C2B60C-0596-4497-A938-058C4BD451CE.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 70
Reaction score
Sorry to say....you have to be a tiler to call yourself a tiler and that work is not done by a tiler!!!! poor setting out, poor trim work as far as I can see from pictures, would love to see the whole room pictures. Hopefully you haven't paid yet????

Diesel

-
Reaction score
God that’s shocking
Maybe you can overboard the ceiling to reduce the gap but that’s Dammage limitation just poor setting out and the trims are butchered maybe try tidy up with a file but they are cut and installed wrong and badly

Diesel

-
Reaction score
The ceiling is probably not level most ceiling’s aren’t level.
Hence good setting out accommodates things being out of level and out of square,
it’s a school boy error and easily avoided

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Interestingly, the gap round the top of the room is consistent in size. Can hardly say the ceiling is out 🤣🤣

Reaction score
Interestingly, the gap round the top of the room is consistent in size. Can hardly say the ceiling is out 🤣🤣
Ceiling is out Ali, the ‘tiler’ skilfully ensured his tiling was also out so it was parallel to the ceiling!
OP this is “ day one” stuff; if the tiles are even remotely likely to be like this at the top, you simply start with a half cut tile at the bottom.
In real life you have windows, bath, shower etc heights to consider and you spend some nice quiet-time considering all the possibilities. Floors and ceilings are nearly always out and this is taken into consideration- before I start tiling I know how every cut will be and make sure they are acceptable before starting. You can’t have a ‘nasty surprise’ if you’ve planned it correctly.

Reaction score
Agree with all the comments. People who call themselves tilers who take good money from customers should be named and shamed. Good tilers cost good money. Setting out is so important as is knowing if you have a black grout as the grout lines will take no prisoners. Tiling is about care, technique, experience and knowledge. And having an interest in the art and continuing to learn.
Anybody can tile. But proper professionals tile better than customers can imagine. We exceed expectations. Good tiling is a joy to look at - but not here.

Reaction score
Agree with all the comments. People who call themselves tilers who take good money from customers should be named and shamed. Good tilers cost good money. Setting out is so important as is knowing if you have a black grout as the grout lines will take no prisoners. Tiling is about care, technique, experience and knowledge. And having an interest in the art and continuing to learn.
Anybody can tile. But proper professionals tile better than customers can imagine. We exceed expectations. Good tiling is a joy to look at - but not here.
Couldn’t have said it better myself 👍

Reaction score
Real tilers spend their first day marking the room out for the best possible layout before even sticking a tile there is a a lot ways to tile a bathroom also a lot of ways not too do it.

Tiling is an art form and a finishing trade that everyone will see so mistakes can’t be made tiling in this day and age needs love and care into every job otherwise the finish will be poor.

I always go by if my work isn’t something I’d be happy with in my house for a paying customer it isnt good enough.

I’ve been doing it 11 years and have a business with my brother and rarely come across good tilers or anyone with as much care as us.

Reply to Poor tiling gap at top of tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks