Discuss Dismayed with poor tiling in bathroom...advice needed in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

One Day

These sites like checkatrade should be held accountable. Strange that they aren't isn't it?! Even the hallowed TTA isn't averse to turning a blind eye to some of their dodgy members.
Op, has zero chance of any further recourse unless small claims court is involved.
Personally I'd take the hit and rip everything out and start again using someone with real, checkable recommendations this time.

Reaction score
These sites like checkatrade should be held accountable. Strange that they aren't isn't it?! Even the hallowed TTA isn't averse to turning a blind eye to some of their dodgy members.
Op, has zero chance of any further recourse unless small claims court is involved.
Personally I'd take the hit and rip everything out and start again using someone with real, checkable recommendations this time.

This is the course of action I’ve decided to take. My plumber is fantastic and has had his own business for years, fitting many bathrooms. We chatted yesterday and next week we are cutting out the 2 plasterboard walls and re boarding them. The decor tiles along the length if the bath are actually very good so they will remain. We will smash off the top row of tiles along the window and drop the height of the window sill to make the window reveal deeper and draw your eye away from the fact it isn’t level.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Why not raise the height of the sill so you can finish the whole row on a full tile and then tile in the sill to the same level, will look much better imo as there is such a small amount of tile going in there even if it gets slightly bigger and less trim work required to go wrong. However it does look a bit tight for that as there isn't much more height to play with

Last edited:
B

Bill

This is the course of action I’ve decided to take. My plumber is fantastic and has had his own business for years, fitting many bathrooms. We chatted yesterday and next week we are cutting out the 2 plasterboard walls and re boarding them. The decor tiles along the length if the bath are actually very good so they will remain. We will smash off the top row of tiles along the window and drop the height of the window sill to make the window reveal deeper and draw your eye away from the fact it isn’t level.
Smashing off just the top row will not help if that row is not level in the first place which to me, it doesn't look like it is. (Unless the window is out too)

Reaction score
Why not raise the height of the sill so you can finish the whole row on a full tile and then tile in the sill to the same level, will look much better imo as there is such a small amount of tile going in there even if it gets slightly bigger and less trim work required to go wrong. However it does look a bit tight for that as there isn't much more height to play with
My plumber brought along his tiler friend who he highly recommended (don’t ask me why I didn’t ask him for recommendations in the first place as I feel stupid for not doing this!!!) and we chatted about doing exactly that however it would take the tile up past the chamfered/sloping edge of the window. This only way to go is down to make it look acceptable really. We will then see if the sill can be re-tiled or we fit a wooden sill and tile to that, framing the window and not wrapping round into the reveal. It doesn’t help as the window is running out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Smashing off just the top row will not help if that row is not level in the first place which to me, it doesn't look like it is. (Unless the window is out too)

The tiles are level....the window is out. The original tiler noticed this but just ploughed on instead of asking me my thoughts. Plus this way I will get rid of the worst lip in the whole bathroom which is between the top row and next tile down.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I wouldn't dwell on it too much, shoulda woulda coulda and all that. Personally i think you are pretty lucky he is even going to pay back for the tiles compared to what happens to some customers that come on here, see this for a prime example. Time to get it sorted and forget about him. Keep us updated and let us know what happens with Check a trade if you go down that route. Good luck :thumbsup:

B

Bill

The tiles are level....the window is out. The original tiler noticed this but just ploughed on instead of asking me my thoughts. Plus this way I will get rid of the worst lip in the whole bathroom which is between the top row and next tile down.
If the window is that far out the plasterer has made a great job of paralleling the reveals...... check your window again.

D

Dumbo

That’s what the plumber said!!! We will see more when we remove the top row and that sill.
You only need to put a spirit level along the grout line below the window . Tbh those pictures don't look right unless it's how you hold the camera . My guess is because he has come a whole tile of the bath the bath isn't level and there for the tiles are not level.

D

Dumbo

I am a very sceptical person so here goes , may be your plumber isn't as good as you think he is and now because of poor tiling he's been found out and he now has his mate who is helping to cover his mess as well by saying the window is not square .

Reaction score
I am a very sceptical person so here goes , may be your plumber isn't as good as you think he is and now because of poor tiling he's been found out and he now has his mate who is helping to cover his mess as well by saying the window is not square .
The bath is completely level

Reaction score
I wouldn't dwell on it too much, shoulda woulda coulda and all that. Personally i think you are pretty lucky he is even going to pay back for the tiles compared to what happens to some customers that come on here, see this for a prime example. Time to get it sorted and forget about him. Keep us updated and let us know what happens with Check a trade if you go down that route. Good luck :thumbsup:

Yeah I read that last night. Disgusting that!!

Reaction score
Made some good progress today. 2 stud walls cut out and re-boarded. The top row of tiles came away fine around the window.

0EF4AED6-214E-43F1-8BE3-E206C980F8DF.jpeg

AF39F3B2-67B4-40A9-A32B-484EC11C7505.jpeg

F2494B38-F7C5-4B32-B44C-906284E84FB4.jpeg

Reply to Dismayed with poor tiling in bathroom...advice needed in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks