Search the forum,

Discuss Disaster tiling job being fixed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

L1bel

Hello all

New user here - please go easy :smilewinkgrin:

I recently had a disaster of a tile job done in my bathroom (approx 23 sq m). I made the builder re-do large sections but it was still a disaster 6 weeks later so I had to terminate his services. Like a fool, I had paid for half the job in the initial instalments but rectifying the situation will cost more than the remainig half :oops:. It's people like that who give the trade a bad name but it was a lesson learned for me I tell you.

Anyway, I now have now found a tiler who has been highly recommended to me to re-do the entire job so fingers crossed. I'm sure to have many questions over the next few days but my fiirst ones are:

1. My wall tiles are 600mm x 300mm polished porcelain. I do not know what type of adhesive has been used (trying to find out from previous builder). What is the likelihood that they could be taken off the plasterboard walls unharmed, be cleaned off and be re-used? I'm hoping that my new builder can re-use as many as possible but worst case is I need to buy a full new set which will be a disaster for me.

2. Also, what is the best way to fix a 900mm x 500mm (4mm thin) polished edge mirror to the wall? I would ideally like it to be flush with the tiles but give the extra labour, and the fact I'm now having to try and save labour costs, I could live with it being stuck or screwed on. Mirror adhesive seems a simple solution. Is that better than risking damaging the tiles by drilling in to them?

3. On a mirror selling website, it said in big red letters not to use mirror adhesive with mirrors which are safety backed. Is that correct? Anyone know why?

4. The floor area is about 3.5 sq m. I initially put 300mm x 300mm matt tiles which matched my wall tiles but they are all uneven and need to be ripped off. I am thinking of putting the 600mm x 300mm polished wall tiles on the floor (the manufacturer says they are both wall and floor tiles). I just wondered whether polished porcelain floor tiles would become a death trap if wet??!

That's all for now! Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hello sorry to hear of your disaster job:thumbsdown: , in regards to polished porc on the floor getting wet yes it makes them slippy especially if you have kids i wouldnt advise it personally in the bathroom but thats just my opinion.

i also would say i dont think you will be able to save tiles from the wall that have been fixed ...i can suggest if you ask the tiler your using he may well be able to get you a decent discount from the tile shops which will save you some money for re buying them

M

mikethetile

sorry to hear about your bad job

if the mirror has a safety film adhered to the rear you will not be able to stick it and will have to use mirror brackets or have it drilled and screw it

L

L1bel

hello sorry to hear of your disaster job:thumbsdown: , in regards to polished porc on the floor getting wet yes it makes them slippy especially if you have kids i wouldnt advise it personally in the bathroom but thats just my opinion.

i also would say i dont think you will be able to save tiles from the wall that have been fixed ...i can suggest if you ask the tiler your using he may well be able to get you a decent discount from the tile shops which will save you some money for re buying them

Thanks Kilty.

Re the floor tiles, thanks for the input. I may double think this but having no kids and a small area which will have a matt of some sort on it, I might be ok. Good to know of the dangers though!

That will be a real pain if the tiles can't be salvaged. It took me ages to find some I liked. I've already spoken with the tile retailer and the best discount they can do for me is 18% off the retail price (given i've already bought about 30 sq m!). not confident of new tiler being able to get better since there are only 3 places in London that seem to stock them (manufactured by Original Style tiles). Trying to get my previous tiler to compensate me is an option but not holding my breath!

L

L1bel

sorry to hear about your bad job

if the mirror has a safety film adhered to the rear you will not be able to stick it and will have to use mirror brackets or have it drilled and screw it

Thanks for the confirmation. I haven't bought the mirror yet and have the option of having a safety film on it or not. Guess I won't have it and go with mirror adhesive then.

D

Deleted member 9966

to be honest L1bel, you should be chasing your original builder for a refund of your money in respect of the appalling job done so far. he messed it up and it should be him who pays to put it right.

L

L1bel

to be honest L1bel, you should be chasing your original builder for a refund of your money in respect of the appalling job done so far. he messed it up and it should be him who pays to put it right.

You're absolutely right - I'm certainlly entitled to it and I will try although I suspect it will be like getting blood from a stone. Plus, I don't want to delay the job until and if I get anything from him as I just desparately want the work to be put right and finished.

I have taken plenty of photos of the issues and put my issues in writing to him but he says he has no money so if I want to take him to court I can but I'll still get nothing! :asshole:

D

Deleted member 9966

take him to small claims court L1bel. there's a few threads on here I think already about the process and forms. it's relatively simple and quite realistically priced.

Reply to Disaster tiling job being fixed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen