Search the forum,

Discuss customer wants me to over grout bad work in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi all

Got recommended for a job, went to look at it. Massive house,6 en-suites all in engineered quartz.
Tiles loose in every room,grout cracked everywhere,wet trays not supported underneath and walls are ply,plasterboard and whatever else.

Customer wants me to go over existing grout,mapei jasmine. Told her it wont last and I wont guarantee the work. Then I look at the grout joints, from 0.5-1mm on walls and probably 2mm max on floors. Lots of loose tiles aswell which if I regrout and a tile falls off its then my fault. She did say She'll look at the rooms if the grout cracks again.

I just dont know how to let her down,could be loads of work but I think all 6 rooms need ripping out and starting again. Dont want her to think im going in and saying its a rip out just because they have a massive house and money. Ive been advised to walk away but my wifes best mate has a cleaning company that cleans the house and they recommended me.

Anybody come across a situation like this and what would be the best approach?

Many thanks

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
no point re grouting loose tiles, just tell her you will quote to re-do the job properly and leave it at that, its up to them, no point doing the job unless you can do it right ..

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Come from the angle that your saving them money in the long run by not grouting it.

If it's not going to be right then in my opinion, you can't toudh it. Unless you quote to fix everything.

C

Colour Republic

All you can ever be is professional about it. Nobody should ever think you are ripping them off if you explain in full why you are recommending what you are. If they don't want to retile the bathrooms now then maybe suggest that you regrout 1 or 2 bathrooms and if it fails again in the short term then you will sit down with them and discuss the options to remedy all the bathrooms, if it doesn't fail then you'll regrout the rest. But be clear any regrouting you do now is purely cosmetic.

Give them all the details possible and let them make an informed decision

Last edited by a moderator:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
My advice would be to quote for doing one bathroom as a re-grout and one as a complete refurb. I suspect when you take out the grout though some tiles may fall off/lift anyway and that should confirm your thoughts and prove the bad workmanship in the first place.

A

Alan M

i wouldnt touch the job of re grouting. your name and reputation will alwys be attached to the job. when if fails again everybody will remember that you did the last work in there.
i would quote for a total redo and explain that it is the only option
maybe be do 1 bathroom at a time to spare the total cost .

R

Rookery

I'd tell them that by re-grouting for X pounds you'd be robbing them because as the tiling is in such a bad state, it will need re-grouting before long and that the only way is to rip out and redo. That way they should see you're a professional, looking after their best interests and not simply after a quick buck. They should appreciate that approach. This is what I've done in the past.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
as above all good advice,dont feel you have to quote just because someone reccomended you.....quote only on what you think is the right way to go and re grouting isnt it

B

bugs183

I think Kilty says it all here.
You know its a bd job and that regrouting isn't going to sort anything.
I'd politely tell them your concerns with the quality of the job and that as a professional you'd feel uncomfortable taking money off them to re grout when you know for a fact it will fail.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Theres only one way to go and thats not just regrouting its not a case of you will be letting her down, could be loads of work or it could be loads of trouble,because you have posted this I think in your own mind you know its not the right thing to do,so just tell her that it needs retiling and let her make her own mind up with what she wants to do,if she disagrees then I would walk away.

Last edited:

Reply to customer wants me to over grout bad work in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen