Search the forum,

Discuss Cracked porcelain tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

Eddie

I met a lady today, i did a kitchen floor for last year. She told me one of the tiles cracked when she stood on it. Her washing machine had leaked, when she was on holiday. It was after this the tile cracked. Could the leak cause this to happen.

Cheers, Edd

W

White Room

If the substrate was ply, it could have swelled and caused the tile to become unstable and cracked when she stood on it. If it was a screed floor don't see why unless it was just a coincidence

D

DHTiling

Is she a big mamma...:smilewinkgrin:....jokin..

unless it has debonded then nope......

E

Eddie

It was a timber floor. The guy is a joiner, he laid, 9mm ply, with nails, not screws. I did tell him it should be 15mm ply, and that he should screw it down, but he insisted that they were ring shank nails, and were as good as screws, and on all the sites he has worked on 9mm was always used. They are going to get another tile, i'll go and fit it and see whats wrong under the cracked one. I realy hope it's not something i've done wrong.

Cheers again, Edd

N

nickj

Think you answered your own question mate and know what's caused the problem. Did you bring up your concerns with the customer at the time or only mention it to the joiner?

A little bit sticky mate if you just took the joiners word

N

nickj

The customer is the joiner. I did tell him, but he INSISTED! it would be fine!!!

Sorry mate wasn't sure as you mentioned bumping into the lady etc

To be honest then you warned him so take a look and then try not to laugh when you look at him and say 'I told you so' :smilewinkgrin:

N

nickj

If it is a rip out, i hope they dont expect me to pay for it. they are ex-neighbours, and friends. Don't want any conflict.

You tried to warn them so they should be reasonable, personally if it was a friend I'd probably offer to do the labour for free and knock it out in your spare time and they pay for everything else but take a look it might not come to that. It may be that the ply has swelled like whitebeam mentioned.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Reply to Cracked porcelain tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen