Search the forum,

Discuss cracked floor tiles! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

Had a first this week to remedy. En-suite (ground floor) builders had used 18mm wbp straight onto screwed battens (into concrete sub floor) most of the sub floor cavity between the concrete and wbp had been insulated with an expanded polystyrene insulation board, ok so far, however there was a section that wasn't insulated as all the heating pipes were running down this section. The heat from these pipes has risen through the plywood joints and snapped two rows of tiles, 3 tiles along. The middle one of the 3 being directly above the pipes.
To rectify this, I took up all the very well bonded tiles up, spread a flexible slc over the ply,addy etc and tomorrow will be laying 6mm hardiebacker down over the top before re-tiling. As I've said, this situation is a first for me, and I'd be interested to hear what you guys and gals would do to remedy this situation.
cheers
Doug

M

mikethetile

i havent come across this before so thanks for the information

this could become a regular source of work for those who know how to resolve it

insulated floors are in every new build now and they will build many thousands before they realise there is aproblem and thousands more before they have a solution

your solution sounds well thought out to me and i can see no reason why it shouldnt work

mike

D

DHTiling

Whats the centres on the battens....are they cross battened as well..?

Ditra will prevent any lateral stress cracking the tiles.....

D

doug boardley

no Dave, as far as i can see and feel, they're 2 x 2 's at 400 centres. I've no doubt that the heat from the pipes has distorted and caused the ply joints to move and seeing as the tiles have bonded that well to the ply, they're only option was to split and not become uncoupled/unbonded.

D

doug boardley

I've assumed that the ply was maybe damp and unsealed when screwed down, I've come along and tiled, plumber has come along and second fixed, whacked up the heat, distortion and pinging the result.

Reply to cracked floor tiles! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen