Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Cleaning And Polishing in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

scotmk

Right, so nearly finished grouting, just the shower tray left.

What's the best way to give a good final clean, I have been washing down several times and all clean. I know there are tiles cleaners/finishers. But at the end of the day they are just degreasers, so I was thinking of using the good old Dettol Surface Cleaner when all wiped and washed.

It is after all designed to clean kitchen and bathroom worktops, sinks, baths and tiles and is just a degreaser and bacteria killer?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Dettol will leave its own residue. This will then heed cleaning off.
For the small cost, always use the recommended cleaner and sealer. It's a lot of work to redo, if you have to do it twice!

S

scotmk

Dettol will leave its own residue. This will then heed cleaning off.
For the small cost, always use the recommended cleaner and sealer. It's a lot of work to redo, if you have to do it twice!

It never leaves a residue when I use it to clean the kitchen and other bathrooms? I tested a bit and leaves the tile really clean and gets rid of the dust residue. I will have a look at the cleaners tomorrow though

S

scotmk

20160211_155840.jpg

O

Old Mod

Half the time the reason there's so much grout residue is because guys wipe and wipe with the same sponge without rinsing.
All they're doing is re applying the grout.
Use a sponge twice, one wipe one side, don't do back over it, rinse!
U'll find when its dry u'll just need a light dust off maybe.

And all household products do is darken the grout quicker, tiles will be clean tho! Haha

I often try pursuade client to go for a regular grey grout if the tile can take it.
Keeps the install looking brand new for a long time cos the grout doesn't discolour! Plus it gives a nice contrast and is interesting enough to prevent what is in my opinion the worst feature in bathrooms,
Mosaic borders! Arrrghhhhh! Rip out my eyes, rip out my eyes! :D

S

scotmk

Yes, I have washed down and wiped several times each wipe was with a rinsed out sponge so I don't have any dirty tiles they ate just light dust formed which wipes straight off. So I am going to wipe with just a surface cleaner as they are really clean.

I have used a nice light grey grout too.

Reply to Cleaning And Polishing in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks