Discuss Can this be done better/differently? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hello, I’m looking for a professional opinion on whether a better tiling result could be achieved. We’ve just had new large format porcelain tiles laid in a bathroom and the feedback from the builders was that they were incredibly hard and chipped easily, even when cut with a diamond saw. They said they tried the wet saw, but I’m not 100% sure that this is true. The tiles chipped around the edges and require a tile edge strip to cover the chips. It looks especially bad around the window, where 2cm strips seem to be required to hide this. I’m wondering if we should accept this and just put the thicker strips or get someone to re-do the window?

59C69A73-9D47-43CB-B97B-7BD6B5BADE0A.jpeg

289CDC81-414D-436F-A325-1133D3B2E354.jpeg

22C6C455-F01B-497F-A0FC-F3B3844F94B9.jpeg

29852589-1CC3-4B9B-B45A-2E980235543F.jpeg

635EBE5F-6D8D-4E2D-B5C6-521BD9BB2E0D.jpeg

E282DCC8-C085-4F83-86BC-152BF27EADF8.jpeg

B8F91E48-B0FF-4804-A592-D5CBC5F168DF.jpeg

2CD3BF50-6442-403D-9074-49370E1BE5E1.jpeg

Reaction score
Jesus christ what is that 😳. Why haven’t they used tile trims. ? And yes the chipping is bad.
So this is technically not finished, they still need to put the corner trims on. You can see on one of the pictures we’re holding 1cm trim against the edge and it doesn’t cover it. So they are saying they will buy 2cm trims to cover this and the finished product will look “good”. I have my doubts, hence wanted to seek an opinion. What do you think?

Reaction score
If thats how they have "finished " the window I would be seriously looking at the rest of the room:oops:

thank you for your reply. It not finished yet as they still need to apply the 2cm wide strips on both sides of the corner and it’s will look “good”. I’m trying to figure out if this is acceptable or if we can get a better result if we re do this. It’s a very expensive tile and would cost many hundreds of pounds to re do and of course weeks of delays,so I’m trying to figure out if it would be worth it and if a better result is possible, or we would spend more money and get the same?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So this is technically not finished, they still need to put the corner trims on. You can see on one of the pictures we’re holding 1cm trim against the edge and it doesn’t cover it. So they are saying they will buy 2cm trims to cover this and the finished product will look “good”. I have my doubts, hence wanted to seek an opinion. What do you think?
How can they insert a trim as they have tiled the reveals. ?

Reaction score
The internal window sills tiles would have to be removed ,I honestly cant see an acceptable finish leaving tiles in place like that ,and I assume they would be cutting in trim ,no size trim size can mask that without leaving the trim looking ridiculous.
but you are going to have to give them the opportunity to finish/fix ,as they have said its not " finished",but let them know your serious concerns.

Reaction score
How can they insert a trim as they have tiled the reveals. ?
So these are the trims they got - it seems that they would need to be attached the corners...but these are only 1cm on each side and they want to get the ones that are 2cm...would these look ridiculous?
364C6C58-B198-48B9-8E33-D863AA5969E1.jpeg

Reaction score
as a customer, not a ruler, my input is that the people doing this either haven’t got the skills, or equipment, or both to do a proper job. Having botched it is as best they could manage, they know it’s a shocking mess, and are dreaming up ways to cover up their mistakes, ie jumbo right angles trims. My advice would be (a) tell them the tiles around the window will have to come off, walls made good as needed, and if they can’t cut a porcelain tile, to pack up their stuff and discount from their invoice the cost of getting someone else in to fix it - say £300. Fair enough?

Reaction score
I suspect they aren’t an established company, but some chancer with a website and a mobile phone, who hopes they’ll get away with it and if they don’t, jump in the car and clear off

Reply to Can this be done better/differently? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay