Search the forum,

Discuss black grout turns white? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TilingLogistics

Pour a little olive oil on an inconspicous area where the grout is at its lightest only do about an inch in length and leave it for a full 24 hours and let me know if you are happy with the result. If you are I will tell you where to get a product that will replicate the olive oil action and seal the grout at the same time

Kev

C

cornish_crofter

If your tiler hasnt heard of efflorescence before i would suggest he isnt a tiler. Its a common problem especially with darker grouts.

To be fair Neale, it may be the first time he's used black grout. Efflorescence can occur with any coloured grout but it's not always visable.

My BAL Ebony efflorescence free grout is still holding up well.

W

wivers

Black Bal grout staining ....Surely not.....this has only ever happend a million times!!!! Try aquamix products they work a treat.

W

wivers

How come that link i posted linked to another forum when all i did was cut and paste the adress?

G

Gazzer

To be fair Neale, it may be the first time he's used black grout. Efflorescence can occur with any coloured grout but it's not always visable.

My BAL Ebony efflorescence free grout is still holding up well.

But for a "Tiler" to say he or she has never heard of Efflorescence is a bit suspect to me. This "Tiler" is playing with £1000 worth of tiles and i would want him/her to know the trade.
We are not talking about a little known subject here but of a major problem.
Yes it can affect all grouts but the darker ones tend to show the problem more so.
Also Yes your "BAL Ebony efflorescence free grout" should hold up well....the clue is "efflorescence free".

S

sandeeeee2000

hy kev

I have put olive oil on the tile..its darkened it considerably. Could you tell me what product u recommend?

thanks
sandy

T

TilingLogistics

hy kev

I have put olive oil on the tile..its darkened it considerably. Could you tell me what product u recommend?

thanks
sandy

I hope you mean the grout and not the tile has darkened considerably? Now the next thing to do is to brush all the grout lines with a hard DRY brush a good quality nail brush is usually best the harder the better this will remove any salts that have been produced as a result of the effloresence. (UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WET THE FLOOR AGAIN YOU WILL REACTIVATE THE EFFLORESCENCE PROCESS)Then gently vacuum the floor paying attention to the grout lines (Use the crevice tool if necessary) Now purchase some Aqua Mix Enrich & Seal and apply it to the grout lines. Let it dwell for a good 5 or 6 minutes then wipe any excess up with paper towel and buff with an old towel. After 24 hours if the grout is still not dark enough repeat the process again until you are happy. Do not be tempted to just leave it for a couple of hours and apply again, be patient and allow each coat to cure. If you give me your total M2 Measurement and the width of the grout lines I will tell you what size bottle to purchase:thumbs_up:

Good Luck

Kev

Reply to black grout turns white? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen