Discuss BAL SBR & APD. Confusion in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

infidel

I use BAL APD to prime plaster before using bagged adhesive, but was wondering what is BAL SDR used for? Is it a similar product?

Cheers

D

DHTiling

Re: BAL SDR & APD. Confusion

BAL Bond SBR
bond_sbr.jpg

A waterbased polymer with a wide variety of uses in the construction industry, particularly as an admixture and bonding agent for cement and concrete applications. Once cured, the polymer is water and frost resistant. BAL BOND SBR can be used as a slurry coat when mixed with hydraulic cement or gypsum plaster, as a multi-purpose admixture for cement:sand mortars, concrete and gypsum plaster; as a brush applied primer, sealer or dustproofer.

Suitable for use on cement:sand screeds, toppings or renderings, plastering, waterproofing, bonding, concrete repair, priming and sealing.

BAL Prime APD
prime_apd.jpg

A modified acrylic polymer dispersion for use as a primer for a variety of backgrounds/bases prior to fixing ceramic tiles, mosaics and natural stone and prior to the application of levelling compound and the BAL WP1 TANKING SYSTEM. BAL PRIME APD isolates products containing calcium sulphate such as gypsum plaster and anhydrite screeds from cement-based adhesives, thus minimising the risk of reaction between the two materials.

Also suitable for use on cement:sand rendering, blockwork, plasterboard, cement:sand screeds and timber. It also provides surface strength to friable surfaces and reduces the porosity of porous backgrounds/bases, thus preventing the formation of air bubbles and prolonging the flow time with levelling compounds and extending the open time of tile adhesives. The primer is blue in colour to help ensure that a complete and even coating is obtained.

I

infidel

Thanks for that Dave.:thumbsup:

Seems as though both can be used as a primer.

B

Branty

I would use the apd on finer surfaces, such as plaster and plaster board.

R

redeye1979

Re: BAL SBR & APD. Confusion

is bal apd suitable for use on skim walls before fixing 400x400mm porcelain tiles to it?

W

White Room

I used to do screeds with sbr and kiln dried sand and was called polymer screeding and even done one on a drive in front of a garage once a few years ago has never cracked, Sbr is the dogs danglys

G

grumpygrouter

is bal apd suitable for use on skim walls before fixing 400x400mm porcelain tiles to it?
Yes it is. You might want to check the weight of your tiles though before you start. 20kg/m2 for plaster skim!

R

redeye1979

oh, the tiles are heavy!! 8.5 mm thick 400x400mm! i'm due to start at 11 am tomorrow!

G

grumpygrouter

oh, the tiles are heavy!! 8.5 mm thick 400x400mm! i'm due to start at 11 am tomorrow!
May be wise to check the weight. Don't forget to add on the weight of the addy and grout into your calculation. Dont want them falling off on anybody. if 6 tiles approaches 15kg, I would be wary.

R

redeye1979

i have a genesis 600mm dry cutter, i've been told that the tiles should cut ok with ym 6mm wheel but i want to make sure before i try coz the first 12 or so jobs i've done have been ceramic and i've not yet come across porcelain until today!

D

DHTiling

I think that cutter has a movable breaker..so it should be spot on......

Reply to BAL SBR & APD. Confusion in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks