Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Bal Quickset Render in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

RDTiling

Hi all.

I have a customer who wants his bathroom tiled. There are curently two layers of tiles on the walls. The substrate is rendered brick.

Chances are some/most of the existing render will come away when the tiles are removed.

One of the new tile options is the Porceleanosa Neo tile, which is 10mm thick Porcelain.

I suggested a sand/cement render once the existing tiles are removed, which would support the weight of the new tiles. Problem is, the render needs to be left to dry for at least 21 days from what I've read.

I see that BAL do a quickset render - has anyone ever used this and do they know the weight limit it will support? The technical data sheet from Bal, doesn't give any clues that I can see.

Thanks,
Rich

W

White Room

I've used Bal quick set render bought from Topps but only for external work, why not just dry line the walls and then can tile next day.

R

RDTiling

Sorry, I meant to say that the existing bath is remaining in place. Its a 1650mm bath and it already tight against the three walls.

To overboard wth drywall and then tile would mean the tiles would overhang the bathm which is why I'm left looking at render.

W

White Room

Sorry, I meant to say that the existing bath is remaining in place. Its a 1650mm bath and it already tight against the three walls.

To overboard wth drywall and then tile would mean the tiles would overhang the bathm which is why I'm left looking at render.

With render there's a good chance you may have to scratch out first, how much lip has the bath got.

W

White Room

So you won't really know how much depth until the tiles and perhaps the existing substrate are removed.

What about the Marmox/wedi type boards.

L

lmkitchens

if its double tiled, surely theres at least 12mm of tile there.

So when removed you should be able to squeeze a plasterboard on there. Or if the whole backing comes away you'll have plenty of space.

Or am I missing the point?

R

RDTiling

Thanks guys.

I guess both are viable alternatives to applying a render. I guess I'll know for sure once the existing tiles are removed.

Originally he was looking to skim with plaster - eh not with those tiles you won't be!

Reply to Bal Quickset Render in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks