Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Ardex adhesive in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Mickyf

Hi all fellow tilers,anybody had problems with ardex adhesive?Did a 120m porcelain floor with underfloor heating and now a few tiles are popping up,ardex rep took sample of adhesive to be tested ,the result said that I had put to much water in my mix,been tiling 22yr and never had this problem before.

Reaction score
Welcome Mickyf. Take it ufh had not been turned on! Too much water in adhesive? Porc is not very porous and cement based addy works by chem reaction. Not sure I follow their advice. Not used Ardex personally, but they have a good rep.

I

Ian

Hi all fellow tilers,anybody had problems with ardex adhesive?Did a 120m porcelain floor with underfloor heating and now a few tiles are popping up,ardex rep took sample of adhesive to be tested ,the result said that I had put to much water in my mix,been tiling 22yr and never had this problem before.

Welcome along, had the UFH been comissioned? And what type of screed was it that you tiled onto?

D

DHTiling

120 mtrs.?

Hello Andy mate..

1 thing you can be assured here is we will help discus your issue.?

120mts.. is this all in one area mate.?

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome:Andy - you didn't mention which particular product in the Ardex range you used.

I don't use it much these days, but when if my lottery ticket comes up it would be my first choice:lol:

R

Rich

Bit more detail would be helpful. What was the substrate? What primers did you use? How did you mix it? Did you follow the instructions on the bag? Did you install movement joints?

T

TheTiler

MickyF - I can only bring bad news I think. From what I know of companies such as Ardex, BAL, Granfix etc., if a tiling failure happens with their product they will come and take a sample of the set adhesive and if it's not ready-mixed, they will analyse it in a lab. they will also sample if the substrate is correctly prepared and secured. if the mix has been made with too little or too much water than specified on the bag, then it's game over. I only know this because i spent some time at Leeds College Of Building where I had a rep from BAL tell me of mixing ratios and claims. They are not liable if it's mixed incorrectly. It's a sad story when we have to buy a mixing (plastic) bucket from them for over £8.00...

Good luck

T

TheTiler

I've thought about this further, and I've probably raised your blood on this as you've been tiling much longer than I. Even a weak mix of Ardex should out-perform the rest, but I'm sure you didn't use a sloppy mix as it's unworkable. Do you think (as others have said) your customer has racked up the underfloor heating before time, thus leading to premature and excessive drying and tenting of tiles? Tell me which Ardex you used because I used one in a wet room with underfloor heating 5 years ago without complaints. I'll try to help if I can.

M

Mickyf

Ufh was commissioned,when I did the job I was labour only and the tile supliers supplied adhesive. Which was coming up to its sell by date,they said it would be ok , ardex lab tec to look at sample of adhesive with the outcome being to much water in the adhesive,i used ardex flex 6001.Iam unable to prove if the customer cranked the ufh to it's max.Nightmare for me looking like 10 grand to sort .:mad2:

G

Gazzer

So you mixed up 120m2 worth of adhesive ...all with too much water ???? Doesnt sound right to me.

M

Mickyf

Area was 4 different rooms,sand and cement screed with the fibre flex in ,expansion joints on all doorways.My feeling now is that the ufh has been cranked up as the house was finished just Xmas 2009 but can't prove.

Reply to Ardex adhesive in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks