Discuss anhydrite in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester
Hi Guys

Just had the rep from Mapei out today to spec for 60m² 800x800 tiling to a kitchen on to anhydrite screed, never tiled on to an [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]anhydrite screed always steered clear of them, what would you use to sand the floor for the best results? he specified Mapei primer T after sanding as many coats before it stopped soaking in and kerraquid with latex plus additive, I still plan on using Ditra matting with it being a heated screed and I am thinking if I do get an area of de lamination the Ditra may help it survive.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He recommended that a damp test is carried out prior to installation, the only problem is the owner of the company I work for is rush, rush, rush and whilst he will damp test it I don't think it will dry in time for my installation date of January 6th and the heating will be fired up the week after the screed has been installed, the screed is only being installed this Thursday 12th (omg that's means it's Friday 13th day after)
Any advise or info you guys could offer would be great, another company I sub to has had every anhydrite floor tiled failed by their previous tiler hence they no longer use that product for their floors.

Regards

Paul
[/FONT]

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Floor needs to be dry, Heating needs to be tested and all this before jan, and screed not been laid yet!
try and educate your boss, buy I'm guessing he will make you do it anyway.
Disaster waiting to happen.
i know we don't live in a perfect world, but a builder I sub to works from the kitchen install backwards. Ie date for kitchen install, less testing heating, less drying time. This gives a latest date for screed to go in.

S

Stef

What depth is the screed going in at?
I use a drum floor sander for these screeds, hire it from Jewsons for a day.

I set a hygrometer on a floor this morning (Gyvlon) so I can get a reading for the end of the week.
This screed was poured at 55mm about 7/8 weeks ago & has been sanded & blasted with heat for a few weeks & it will be lucky if its ready to accept tiles.
There is no chance that an anhydrite screed will be ready at the start of January.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I'm very surprised Mapei said a test had to be done.
I spoke to technical & they told me that's only for wood & carpet floor coverings nothing to do with tiles as moisture can escape through the grout lines..

Lots of info on here. Personally I would contact lee @ Tiletown & order some AnhyFix as its a gypsum adhesive specifically designed for these screeds..

WTF!!! All screeds should be tested for moisture before tiling....

On a project at the moment where Gypsol screed has been fitted, 7 weeks or so ago, client had excellent advise all the way from Alan and Mark@tilemaster. Floor was forced dried, tested and now being tiled using TM Anhyfix. Tilers comment on site yesterday "had to get a tile up that didnt quite look right.......it was a b%£ch to get up"

AD follow the advice from the people who know what they are doing.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester
On a project at the moment where Gypsol screed has been fitted, 7 weeks or so ago, client had excellent advise all the way from Alan and Mark@tilemaster. Floor was forced dried, tested and now being tiled using TM Anhyfix. Tilers comment on site yesterday "had to get a tile up that didnt quite look right.......it was a b%£ch to get up"

AD follow the advice from the people who know what they are doing.

I made an enquiry tonight with one of my suppliers regarding a gypsum based adhesive and they said there product will just go straight onto the screed, he never said anything about sanding or priming, I would never stick a tile on a any type of floor without priming, strange how they never mentioned priming to such a problematic substrate, and no mention of sanding!!!!!! any thoughts on that as I assumed the sanding was the most important first stage of installation.

G

Gazzer

I made an enquiry tonight with one of my suppliers regarding a gypsum based adhesive and they said there product will just go straight onto the screed, he never said anything about sanding or priming, I would never stick a tile on a any type of floor without priming, strange how they never mentioned priming to such a problematic substrate, and no mention of sanding!!!!!! any thoughts on that as I assumed the sanding was the most important first stage of installation.

Perhaps they dont know anything !

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire

There are adhesives that do not require a primer but there are none that remove the need for sanding. Which adhesive was it?

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester
There are adhesives that do not require a primer but there are none that remove the need for sanding. Which adhesive was it?

Hi Ajax123

The adhesive that has been recommended to me is Keracol H40 Eco ideal, no primer just floor abraded and hoovered, now the word abraded would that suggest sanding, when I said scabbled oh no no no that's not good enough so abraded it is, what would you recommend to abrade the surface.
Would you install a ditra or similar anti fracture mat with an 800x800 tile, I normally wouldn't hesitate to use ditra but it has been suggested that it doesn't need it, I beg to differ but thought I would ask you guys, have any of you heard of decomat pro matting, any good?

Cheers guys

Paul

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Hi Ajax123

The adhesive that has been recommended to me is Keracol H40 Eco ideal, no primer just floor abraded and hoovered, now the word abraded would that suggest sanding, when I said scabbled oh no no no that's not good enough so abraded it is, what would you recommend to abrade the surface.
Would you install a ditra or similar anti fracture mat with an 800x800 tile, I normally wouldn't hesitate to use ditra but it has been suggested that it doesn't need it, I beg to differ but thought I would ask you guys, have any of you heard of decomat pro matting, any good?

Cheers guys

Paul

sanding and not scrabbling. Scrabbling is for concrete not screeds. So sand with medium grit paper or 60grit to remove any loose and friable material and damn good vacuum to get rid of the dust. H 40 Eco ideal is perfectly ok with no primer. If the screed is very porous or dusty then a consolidating primer might not do any harm. Would only use decoupler if it is heated and natural stone but with 800x800 it's up to you. It can't do any harm but is probably over engineered. If it natural stone then decoupling is essential.

M

Mark S

Check with Kerakoll, as they have an adhesive specifically for latge format tiles.
H40 is 'Ideal' for ceramics onto Gyvlon screeds, without the need to prime, although some still prime but only to prevent the adhesive drying too quickly.
As with the other posts sand using an orbital type STR machine and 60-7-grit paper, to remove any loose or friable surface material, and to open up the screed surface.
And deffo use a de-coupling membrane

S

Stef

Took readings from the hygrometer today,
se5enevy.jpg

udy7e8a6.jpg

9e9usege.jpg

This Gyvlon was 55mm deep & this is day 53.
Good to go me thinks.
Working right through the holidays.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to anhydrite in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi guys technical question hoping maybe you have an answer as I have never came across this...
Replies
Views
Need some help please with calculating levels and the build up of the floor to support tiling...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB