Currently reading:
Anhydrite Screed Tiling

Discuss Anhydrite Screed Tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

J-a-m-e-s_7

Hi, I have got my kitchen extension floor to tile (6x3m). The floor is anhydrite screed which i had done about 6 weeks ago approx 40mm depth. This will be the first time i will have tiled on a gypsum based screed and after a bit of reading have come across all the possible problems (Mostly down to either bad prep, moisture content or lack of knowledge about the substrate).

I have removed the laitance using an orbital floor sander/prep machine
The tiles i am using are Grespania 600x600 Porcelain Dock

My plan is as follows:
To prime with tilemaster primer either prime+ or grip
Anhyfix to fit ditra
Then use a standard cement based adhesive from then on. Either Mapei or Weber most likely

I am wondering if this is the best route or can anyone suggest a better method as to how they would tackle it. I'm not a tiler by trade (Builder/plasterer)

Any advice would be appreciated

J

J-a-m-e-s_7

Thanks Localtiler! Is there any particular hydrometer you would recommend and what reading am i looking for? i have seen varied readings recommended by different manufactures.

My only reason for Ditra was that from what i understand the gypsum based screeds don't do well with moisture and if for example the kitchen were to flood a little then it would help prevent it reaching the screed and potentially causing further problems. If you don't think it is necessary though. I've always been a belt and braces type of guy lol

J

J-a-m-e-s_7

Thanks for the advice. Every days a school day haha. I've been working on a number of jobs recently where gypsum based liquid screeds have been used and not one of the builders knew much if anything about how to prep it or even that is was gypsum not cement based. It is all fairly knew to me too so i thought i'd do a bit of research. At least now i know the basics and have been able to point out the possible problems etc when i came across it. Also, about using gypsum based adhesive although it doesn't seem as readily available as the standard stuff.

O

One Day

Honest! There's no need with Anhyfix onto Anhydrite.
They state priming is recommended simply because it won't do any harm (and it covers for dust etc, and sells more primer!) but all it does is slow down the water absorbtion from adhesive to screed, which with Anhyfix doesn't improve the final bond as it normally does with cement.

As always: if in doubt - prime it out.
All I'm saying is there is no specific need.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I would prime all screeds personally. I agree from a compatibility perspective anhyfix does not cause an issue but it will help act as a dust suppressant. Prime plus or similar diluted 2 or 3 to 1 with water. Leave overnight to dry and tile. No need for ditra .

J

J-a-m-e-s_7

How did you get on with the unit? I am thinking of buying the same one. Just started a new thread with C/A screed issues.

I decided to make my own in the end and followed the advice and it worked a treat. Think all in cost me £30 so was worth the risk. Must be a massive mark up on these units for what is really a very simple design. Will post some pictures when i get a minute

Firstly have you removed Laitence so floor looks like sand and cement screed opposed to the power float effect it starts with ?
If so there as previously stated no need to prime with gypsum based adheshive as it doesn't t react with screed as cement based does ! But I'd give it 1 coat 1-1 with water to stop it dusting up whilst working on it !
If you are unsure of moisture content the screed supplier can come out and do a carbon bomb test and that's final !!
The digital hygrometers aren't as accurate I've invested a lot of time and money on a floor grinder and associated kit to prepare these floors and have done quite a few up to 300m2 total ground floors ! Good luck and enjoy doing it ! Dave

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I went at approx 12" square by 5" deep.
The important thing is making sure it's sealed up fully and then sealed to the floor fully.
You must seal it to the floor using a water free system such as poly butyl tape. Don't use silicone or decorators filler

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
I made these 3, in a hurry as you can probably tell! I've tested them along side a couple of F Ball ones and they read exactly the same. They cost about £15 each, the backs were hacked out with a router bit in a bench drill
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG

Reply to Anhydrite Screed Tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log burner on a plaster render on blockwork wall. I’m planning to score and scrape the paint off the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed most of our floor to accommodate tiling 800x800 porcelain over an uneven floor. The gap from defrac...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement