Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advise please - Great Work, Poor Service in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

JSMPJA

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi there,

I’m not an experienced tradesperson by any means, so wanted to pose a question on here for peoples thoughts.

My partner and I found a tiler in December, to tile the whole ground floor of our new build house.

We were initially quoted the following:

- Installing wood effect rectangular tile to whole floor downstairs. Including Removing then refitting W.C Suite for tile- £1550

- Joinery Work - £130

Materials Needed Cost - £255:

1 x 5L Primer
8 x Bags S1 Flex https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/
10Kg Grout

I just want to highlight that I cannot fault the work so far, the grout spacing between the tiles and the levelling is spot on - the work itself appears to be of great standard.

However, the work was to be completed the week of 13th December 2021, over a period of 4-5 days. It’s now 11th January 2022 and it’s still not completed.

He was meant to have received help for the job, however as two of his mates didn’t help he’s been working this by himself which has contributed to the delay. He turns up at any time in the morning (which varies between 8:30am and 12pm) without prior warning, with very little communication over the past weeks.

He also caught Covid before Christmas, between 23rd Dec - 4th Jan, which again I can appreciate, however the job should have been completed way before this.

Because of this, we’ve had to spend our Christmas and New Year living out of the bedroom, as the ground floor is full of dust, tiles, and his tools everywhere, so we’ve stayed confined to mostly one room whilst the job was being carried out.

He’s advised he would not charge the £130 for joinery work, or the additional £150 to remove a radiator. Would it be unreasonable to ask for a discount for the delay and inconvenience this has really put us through, or am I being unreasonable?

Thanks all

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Imo it is unreasonable to ask for discount on a price agreed beforehand. If he has took longer then he is the one losing money or he is doing other jobs , hence why he is late some days. Have you asked why he has been late ? .
How big is this floor area. ?

OP
JSMPJA

JSMPJA

-
Reaction score
Imo it is unreasonable to ask for discount on a price agreed beforehand. If he has took longer then he is the one losing money or he is doing other jobs , hence why he is late some days. Have you asked why he has been late ? .
How big is this floor area. ?
Hi Dave, thanks for getting back. This is why I’m in two minds about this, it was agreed to be completed the second week of December, this is now a month later about 3/4 of the way finished.

The downstairs is approx 38m2.

He’s admitted he had to go to another job on one occasion to help a mate out (who is the same mate that was apparently supposed to helping out with my job). I haven’t asked why he’s late, he’s mentioned sometimes he’s been in traffic or had to be somewhere else, but most of the time he doesn’t turn up until after 10 and done by 4.

Reaction score
Glad you are happy with the job so far, but he's light on the price which makes me wonder...

38m2 requires at least 10 bags of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ (20 Kg each) and about 20 Kg of grout. No silicone priced in? He's under-priced materials for a start.

Happy to write-off £280 for joinery and the radiator just like that? I wouldn't be.

Has he only started the easy bits and not reached the points where higher skills are needed like cutting around objects?

I'm getting increasing volumes of calls from potential customers reporting cowboys bailing-out on of something they can't handle with the excuse of Covid.

Just a thought...

Kaffee

-
Reaction score
Yeah, seams very light on https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout. Can you post some pictures?

JASON

TF
Reaction score
There is no excuse to be a month behind. It’s a 4-5 days depending on floor cuts and awkwardness of the job

Reply to Advise please - Great Work, Poor Service in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock