Search the forum,

Discuss Advice Please : What Has Caused Fine Cracks In Bathroom Tiles? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

A274

I'm a customer not a tiler but seeking advice please:

I had two bathrooms fitted in Jan/Feb and in late March noticed some tiles had cracks in - fine cracks in the glaze in webbed patterns (NOT directional cracks that you might see where movement has occurred in wall behind tiles). See attached image. In some places the cracks are even worse and seems as though the whole tile has cracked not only the glaze.

I called the builder back and he is blaming the tiles. However I don't think this is the case as the problem only occurs on some of the walls and not others (all walls were tiled from the same batch of tiles).
The difference between the surfaces that have cracked and the ones that haven't is the thickness of the adhesive used. Where it has been thinly applied - (<6mm which is the max depth you should use according to the instructions on the adhesive packet - 'Topps Rapid Set flexible') the tiles are fine, but where it has been used at greater depths (in some places as much as 24mm has been applied) there are cracked tiles. About 13 m2 of tiles are affected.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on what the cause is and how to fix the problem.

Additional details:
Tiles are Topps diamond white matrix tiles which I know are 'cheap' but I used them in a previous bathroom and inside the shower with no problems at all (installed by a different builder/tiler).
Tiles have been applied to a variety of surfaces: wedi board, waterproof ply, waterproof plasterboard, existing plastered walls, but the walls were not made level / square at this point in the process, instead the builder relied on thick application of tile adhesive to correct.
The cracks have only occurred where the tiles were applied over wedi board or plywood, not to any of the existing plastered walls or 'boxed in' structures built from waterproof plasterboard.

2016-06-17 16.02.37.jpg

I

Italy

cold. water. frost. the cause. cold walls. and wet.
wet tiles. freezing during installation

A

A274

I don't think that is the case here. All the walls with problems are internal walls and we were living in the house (i.e. it was heated) while the work was being done so definitely no frost or freezing temps. Tiles were dry, they hadn't been stored anywhere cold or damp before installation.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't tile to ply but I would say the thickness of the adhesive and a cheap tile with a thin glaze is the route of the problem....oh and letting a builder do your tiling...
As the adhesive drys it can shrink causing tiles to crack, the thicker the adhesive the more likely this can happen especially when using rapid set and the more you wet the tiles the more these cracks open and become more visible...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like crazing. Just cheap tiles by the looks of it. Perhaps a trait of the tile type. You could perhaps do with speaking to the tiler that did it, and the tile shop the tiles were sourced.

A

A274

Personally I wouldn't tile to ply but I would say the thickness of the adhesive and a cheap tile with a thin glaze is the route of the problem....oh and letting a builder do your tiling...
As the adhesive drys it can shrink causing tiles to crack, the thicker the adhesive the more likely this can happen especially when using rapid set and the more you wet the tiles the more these cracks open and become more visible...

Thanks, so solution is to remove ply and put wedi board up - putting it up straight so that tiles can be applied with thin layer of adhesive? And on other walls which are already wedi board, is there something that can go on before the adhesive to smooth out any problems or do they need to be reconstructed as well so that they can be made straight first?
I really need to continue with the same tiles to match the two walls in each bathroom that are unaffected.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Basically all walls need to be straight, flat and flush before you tile....it's all in the prep !! More time spent preparing the job, less chance it will come back to bite you.

And bin the ply !!

And the builder !! :)

I

Italy

I don't think that is the case here. All the walls with problems are internal walls and we were living in the house (i.e. it was heated) while the work was being done so definitely no frost or freezing temps. Tiles were dry, they hadn't been stored anywhere cold or damp before installation.
it just happens. perimeter walls of the house.
eg wall with window?

K

Kevbos

I'm a customer not a tiler but seeking advice please:

I had two bathrooms fitted in Jan/Feb and in late March noticed some tiles had cracks in - fine cracks in the glaze in webbed patterns (NOT directional cracks that you might see where movement has occurred in wall behind tiles). See attached image. In some places the cracks are even worse and seems as though the whole tile has cracked not only the glaze.

I called the builder back and he is blaming the tiles. However I don't think this is the case as the problem only occurs on some of the walls and not others (all walls were tiled from the same batch of tiles).
The difference between the surfaces that have cracked and the ones that haven't is the thickness of the adhesive used. Where it has been thinly applied - (<6mm which is the max depth you should use according to the instructions on the adhesive packet - 'Topps Rapid Set flexible') the tiles are fine, but where it has been used at greater depths (in some places as much as 24mm has been applied) there are cracked tiles. About 13 m2 of tiles are affected.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on what the cause is and how to fix the problem.

Additional details:
Tiles are Topps diamond white matrix tiles which I know are 'cheap' but I used them in a previous bathroom and inside the shower with no problems at all (installed by a different builder/tiler).
Tiles have been applied to a variety of surfaces: wedi board, waterproof ply, waterproof plasterboard, existing plastered walls, but the walls were not made level / square at this point in the process, instead the builder relied on thick application of tile adhesive to correct.
The cracks have only occurred where the tiles were applied over wedi board or plywood, not to any of the existing plastered walls or 'boxed in' structures built from waterproof plasterboard.

View attachment 82327
I would say it's a hard one because if tile joints are not giving. But the tile is. Then the tile is the problem. You gave multiple surfaces to tile on all of which. Expand differently to each other. The glaze has failed not the adhesive used

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thick bed adhesive has shrunk and tiles are soft with a very thin glaze. Part fixer error and part poor tiles.

Reply to Advice Please : What Has Caused Fine Cracks In Bathroom Tiles? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen