Search the forum,

Discuss Advice for laying a black limestone hearth underneath log burner in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Morph3ous

Hi,

We're having a log burner installed in a couple of weeks and need to lay a new hearth beforehand. We like the dark coloured natural look and found some nice flagstones at B&Q. They were black limestone. I think these are the ones...

B&Q Select Natural Quarry Limestone Black (L)60 x (W)60cm, 5030659049582

I'm going to be laying them onto a concrete base, but I'm a complete novice and have a couple of questions please.

1) Should I use a particular type of adhesive considering the log burner will be going on top and the heat involved?
2) I've read some threads quoting how much the tiles can stain, and that they should be sealed before grout? We wouldn't want any gloss or wet look finish, just the natural matt tile. Which sealant would be best for this and again, considering a log burner will be going on top?
3) Any particular grout that I should use? A colour match as close as I can get would be best.
4) I'll have to cut some of the tiles. Does it cut easily? Any particular blade I should use?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Only 20mm thick.. you can get black limestone pavers cheaper than that..( 30mm thick)..

As for sealer.. you want them to look as black as possible.. so Aqua mix Enrich and seal is a good one and leaves a matt finish but colour enhancers the stone..
You can bed in sand and cement but add SBR to improve the adhesion and strength of the mix..

Grout.. either a mid grey or black grout..

M

Morph3ous

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, what is SBR?

I'll look into Aqua mix Enrich. I read about LTP Mattstone Sealer on here. Any good? One better than the other? I just want to prevent any stains and prolong the life, whilst keeping the original natural finish. Not after anything fancy as it were...

D

DHTiling

LTP colour enhancer is also a good one the matt stone will leave it the same as it is off the shel so to speak but colour enhancer will deepen the colour but not shiny or wet look as they are impregnators and not topical sealer's..

D

DHTiling

Oh and SBR is an liquid additive/primer and in cementitious mixes it improves:-
Strength
Work ability
Chemical resistance
Crack resistance
Abrasion resistance
Flexibility

M

Morph3ous

Thanks for the replies.

I've got hold of some tiles, so am looking for an appropriate sealer now. The local Topps sell Fila Impregnator for £30 for a 1 litre. Is this stuff any good? i'm a little resticted on time so cant wait days for something to be delivered online. Considering the tiles arn't going to be subject to any sort of foot traffic and are just a fire hearth i'm only looking for something that will protect them and prevent staining arn't I??

M

Morph3ous

Sadly, the nearest one is 40 miles away - over an hours drive. Is it THAT much better Dave?

M

MPG1977

Morph3ous

I came across your posts as I was researching doing a similar thing at our house.

Can you let me know how you got on laying, sealing and grouting the stone. Aslo is the woodburner ok sitting on it?

Thanks
Matt

Reply to Advice for laying a black limestone hearth underneath log burner in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen