Search the forum,

Discuss Adhesive thickness 300x300 travertine tiles wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

johnboy82

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but seems to offer lots of good advice.

I'm look to fix some 300x300x10mm travertine to some marmox boards fixed to battons. Any recommendations on what thickness (and product) of adhesive i should use?

The reason I ask, is that i need to join the boards to an area I am plasterboarding and not sure whether or not to use 9.5mm or 12.5mm boards, which i will skim (resulting in approx 12mm or 15mm thickness). The marmox boards I am looking at are 10mm, so there will either be a 2mm or 5mm difference in depth. Any opinions on what would look better??

I assume I have to use quick a thick bed of adhesive for natural stones, so providing the bed is greater than 5mm, then the difference in depth shouldn't be evident, or would it look odd if very little adhesive was visable?

Bit of a newbie question but when trowels are quoted as 6mm I understand this means the finished bed size??? or is this the ridges which will flatten down the actual thickness of the adhesive bed will be less??

Thanks for any advice you can offer
Good forum
Johnboy

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

A white single part flexible for the trav, will you be tiling onto the plastered area you speak of.

I'd use a 8mm and back skim the tiles with the white addy

D

DHTiling

Hi johnboy and welcome..

You will not be able to use those tiles if you skim the plasterboard area, you don't need to have a thick adhesive bed, just enough to create a 100% coverage on the back of the tiles in question..

J

johnboy82

Thanks guys

I'm not planning to tile onto the plasterboard: only tiling the area with the backerboard, but this will meet a section of the wall which will be plastered boarded, skimmed then painted. Is this an issue??

Whitebeam - when you say back skim the tiles, do you mean to put the adhesive directly onto the tiles as well as the walls?? (new to a lot of these tiling terms!!!!)

Johnboy

D

doug boardley

back skimming the tiles is using the flat blade of your trowel,not the ribbed edge, just giving them a thin coating of adhesive then pressing into the ribbed adhesive on the walls mate:thumbsup:

M

michaelb4348

When you say meets a part of the wall do you mean the tiling stops then they are going to plaster paint ect?. If you mean your going to tile over the plaster you need to make sure at least 70 - 80 % of the tile is on the backer board side.

I may be a little confused though on what you mean exactly.

J

johnboy82

yip that was the plan, tile on the backer board then paint on the plasterboard, so 100% tile was on the backer board and 100% of the skim (+paint) was on the plasterboard

But thinking about it - rather than trying to get a straight edge of plaster to meet the tiles I would be better to have approx 2cm of plaster skim under the tiles.

Would it be better to have the joint between the 2 boards behind the tiles therefore less likely to get cracks along the joint??

Thanks,

Johnboy

D

doug boardley

if it's going to be skimmed upto the tiles, the plasterer will put reinforced scrim tape down the join, so there shouldn't be any cracking.

Reply to Adhesive thickness 300x300 travertine tiles wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen