Search the forum,

Discuss 1st timer - grout cracking after drying out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

keirk

Hi,

I hope you guys don't mind me asking questions.

I re-tiled my kitchen this weekend and it all went well - grouted last night and it all looked really good. This morning - all the grout has cracked as it's dried out leaving tiny cracks and some holes. I used a ready mixed addy/grout. I used 4mm spacers.

My questions:

1. Why has this happened? Not enough grout? Gaps too large? I'm hoping to the bathroom - and don't want this to happen again.

2. Is it possible to patch them up? If so how? Or is it a case of removing the grout and starting again?

Thanks chaps,

Keir

G

Gazzer

Ready mixed grout and adhesive? by that i assume its the same product. Its not advisable to use these products. Adhesive for sticking the tiles on and Grout for grouting, 2 different products. My advice would be to try and remove the grout and then use a good quality (Bal) grout to regrout the tiles. You may get away with going over the grout again but it wouldnt be my choice.

Oh you didnt mention if it were walls or floors you had tiled. 4mm is rather large for walls but it can be done, you would need a wide joint grout for that anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

keirk

Yeah it was same product homebase ready mix wall addy and grout.

Might try going over them again - and if that does work out - remove it and start again next weekend.

What do you think for a 1st try?

Before:
before_tiling.gif

After:
after_tiling.gif

G

Gazzer

Well done, try regrouting a small area it may or may not work. As long as you are happy with it.
You will really be better off when doing the bathroom to use adhesive and a seperate grout.
Good luck and before you make a start on the bathroom come back and ask advice......ITS FREE !:yes:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks good to me, it's a shame the grout has cracked but Sir Ramic is right - that adhesive and grout combined is a nightmare to use as an adhesive and / or a grout. I'd avoid it at all costs in the future mate.

Is that kettle hiding some dodgy cutting by that plug? cheeky. :) (only kidding)

G

GazTech

Not bad mate, without being picky.I would have unscrewed socket front and tile up to box, then socket front screws back onto tile face. Fila Residue remover will take the grout off your tiles.....Gaz :thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

I assumed that residue was the tile, if not a good clean up is needed as Gaz has said. Also i agree that the socket should be on the tiles and not as it is. Longer screws are available from most DIY outlets.
Can i ask what spacers you used and how did you use them?

K

keirk

Is that kettle hiding some dodgy cutting by that plug? cheeky. :) (only kidding)

Haha - :yes:

I assumed that residue was the tile, if not a good clean up is needed as Gaz has said. Also i agree that the socket should be on the tiles and not as it is. Longer screws are available from most DIY outlets.
Can i ask what spacers you used and how did you use them?

No it's grout on the tiles they all need a good clean.

Yeah I agree the sockets should be on the tiles not below. Thats a lessons I've learnt. Used 4mm homebase spacers - didn't realise this was such a big gap.

Will get some proper grout and addy for the bathroom.

Reply to 1st timer - grout cracking after drying out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen