Search the forum,

Discuss 1st proper(ish) job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

h0ndatyp3r

Thanks Toby & Anthony for your comments.

The reason i asked the question, was i'm considering the 4 day wall tiling and the 1 day floor tiling course held at North East Tiling Training, the company advertised on this forum.

They are a tile training only company, which is one of the good points highlighted by Anthony.

The length of the course is the downside. The reason i can't go to a longer course is financial and the fact i am in full time employment and won't be able to get the time off.

My intentions were to do tiling on a part time basis (maybe for about a year) to gain experience, then go full time. In the meantime once funds are available, subscribe to other training courses for more knowledge.

Do you think this is a viable plan?

My apologies to gman82 for hijacking his thread!!

Colin

C

Concept PHT

I know chase tiling used to do the 4 week course spread over weekends for people that can't get the time off work....?

C

cartersmiff

4 day course? multi skilled centre? at the end of it you'll have a 1001 questions left unanswered, take their advice dont bother. Buy some cheap tiles and tile your own bathroom it'll be a lot cheaper and you'll learn a lot more.

C

cartersmiff

TJ
Just looked at your website. roughly how many hits do you get on it? Are you not a little worried about proving the 10 year experience thing if someone ask's? Or do you mean you've been involved in building in general for 10 years?

T

tjsmiler

Hi Carter,

You got it in one mate i have been in the building game for nearly 10 years. And the guy i have just partnered up with is a proper master tiler with 25 years behind him so i suppose i feel ok to put it in...... it was not on my last website when i was working on my own, i only changed it when he came on board. (well he diddn't come on board...i forced him;) )

Hits wise, i opened it about 3 weeks ago and have been visited about 250 times. Not bad considering i aint in the search engines yet.

TJ

T

trevortine

Carter you talk my language m8, i have never done any courses and am confident enough to challenge any tiler to criticise my work. I do a 20 m2 bathroom walls and floors in 2 days to a perfect finish, use all the correct methods and adhesives for different situations, i have tiled car showrooms, hotels etc and have a very good reputation, i never have to advertise and am constantly busy, the only reason i see for courses is for people who have never been hands on, i was a mechanic for 16 years before i started tiling and have defo made the right move, I also fit under floor heating and all types of wooden flooring, i do a bit of plumbing all self taught through gathering information and experience. If you've got the eye your half way there.:D

T

tjsmiler

Hi Trevortine

I think you are dead right mate, the courses are a good way for people to get a slight head start into the game, as long as they do a long enough course though!! i think if like yourself you have an eye for it or have been in a game where paying attention to detail is a major part that it would be possible to self teach...but i think you would have to practice on many a friends house first before you could expect to tackle some of things you have (hotels etc)

Personally i don't have a natural eye for these things but my strength in the building game has proved a good advantage and my eye is certainly starting to come along nicely...especially now i am with someone who is s**t hot at the job.

Cheers mate

Toby

Reply to 1st proper(ish) job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen