Search the forum,

Discuss 1st Job - Brick bond set bathroom in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

barclay1406

Hi Guys and Girls,

i've got my first job starting next week and its a brickbond set in a bathroom, i think the customer is removing the sink and toilet. But if they dont
is there any difference to setting out compared to normal straight set. Get your datum line then work out your cuts in the corners, around sink(if still in), toilet etc??

Wasnt sure as being brick bond, what measures ok on one line of tiles might not on the above or below line of tiles if you know what i mean (hope that makes sense)

Also i know you should start with the focal point of the room but as you work through the door the wall in front has a window and the wall on the right has a bath so should i use the bath to get my datum line for heights and the window for widths??

Not sure on size of tiles except they are longer than they are wide so like a rectangle

Thanks in advance for any help

Steve

S

StevieBoy

Hello - always always always try to get the sanitryware taken out, that way you will have a clean run throughout - otherwise, especially half bonding, you will definately have a nightmare on your hands especially seeing as it is your first job.

I would personally always start with the window wall, centering the window checking cut sizes in the corners, then when you turn the corner put a tile which was the same size or near abouts as the offcut from the one previous. Then it appears that the tile has turned the corner effectively.
You will only be able to do this on 3 walls if its a 4 walled room with usually a door frame in between.

And yes, you can come full tile off the bath, providing its set level or full tile across the bottom window cill - whatever works best for cut sizes etc.

Hope this helps.

B

barclay1406

Thanks for your reply stevieboy, just to clarify with the tile round the corner, if i had say a 300mm tile and the cut into the corner was 100mm, could i not use the off cut of 200mm to come out of the corner?? or is that what you mean?

Many thanks

B

barclay1406

Hi again,

I forgot to ask, but with brickbond do i need to in effect set out twice, once for row A and again for Row B if that makes sence? I know i dont have to worry about heights but just the widths??

Thanks

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Yes you can use the off cut, that's what Steve meant I think, yes set out for route b, you don't want a slither, and set out for heights as well as width for the same reason

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

S

StevieBoy

Thanks for your reply stevieboy, just to clarify with the tile round the corner, if i had say a 300mm tile and the cut into the corner was 100mm, could i not use the off cut of 200mm to come out of the corner?? or is that what you mean?

Many thanks

Hi again, yes you thats sort of what I meant, but I would put a line across on the next wall, measure out from the corner say 180mm, put your full ones in then use that 200mm offcut to do that corner.

Hope that makes sense

Reply to 1st Job - Brick bond set bathroom in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen