Search the forum,

Discuss 12mm Ply + Cement board + Tiles on stud wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mossop

I have been able to determine that there is one stockist here for Knauf Aquapanel. I believe it's also a cement board though.

M

Mossop

There are no stockists here either for the Wedi wall board.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Flintstone

Just buy online, jackoboard on eBay, get 10 boards for about £80. Forget the aqua panel it’s a pointless product! What’s the stud spacing? 400? A 12mm board will be the minimum neeed, a 20mm would also be an option.

M

Mossop

I checked on eBay, the company selling them is UK Tile Sales. I have contacted them and they do not send to NI.

Potentially though I could arrange a courier to collect.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mossop

Apparently it's possible to get ParcelForce to collect the sheets, if boxed, and deliver to NI for £36. That might be the way forward!

M

Mossop

I can't believe nobody does jackobord or similar in northern Ireland
This perhaps may explain why bathroom installers I have contacted appear to have a propensity for using either ply or cement board.

What’s the stud spacing? 400? A 12mm board will be the minimum neeed, a 20mm would also be an option.
Each stud has a thickness of 40mm and the space between these is either 280mm or 330mm.

As I haven't actually seen the jackoboards, would the 12mm board be structurally sound (i.e. it doesn't flex once installed)? The spacing between studs is less than you had suggested, so perhaps 12mm board would be okay?

M

Mossop

Schluter Kerdi-board is the Rolls-Royce option. Totally waterproof and no cement faces.
Okay, so no need to tank it for bathroom wall installation? Just install according to manufacturers guidelines and tile directly onto it.

Schluter Kerdi-board comes in a 12.5mm thickness.

With regards to my initial question in this thread, would noggins or ply sheet be required behind 12.5mm Kerdi-board where the hand-shower or shelving is attached to give support?

O

One Day

Okay, so no need to tank it for bathroom wall installation? Just install according to manufacturers guidelines and tile directly onto it.

Schluter Kerdi-board comes in a 12.5mm thickness.

With regards to my initial question in this thread, would noggins or ply sheet be required behind 12.5mm Kerdi-board where the hand-shower or shelving is attached to give support?

It's a piece of cake to install. You can squeeze a bead of Kerdi-fix (tube adhesive) between each board joint as you butt them up.
Smother the fastener heads with the same and squirt plenty up the internal corners and where the boards meet your shower tray.
Technically, that's not the correct way but for a domestic situation it is light years ahead of using cement board and tanking.
For the correct method - check Schluter's Youtube videos...

Yes, if you think extra strength is needed, just insert ply or noggins between the studs in the approximate areas you require strengthening.

Reply to 12mm Ply + Cement board + Tiles on stud wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen