Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss 1200x600 porcel thin tiles.... in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Protilers

I dont think I have posted this on this forum..........if I have please forgive me.......and delete this post!

I have been interested in fitting lightweight tiles, mainly because of the builders I am working with keep plastering everything......

but when this post started (on another forum) I had no experience in fitting Porcel-thin tiles!!!!!

so, I decided to buy some and fit them in my own home!!!!!.......(since then I have installed a whole floor with the porcel-thin master....Gary the tiler!!!!!

alll this nonsense aside......here is what I am doing at home (in-between working!).......

These are the tiles I have chosen...1200x600......:

1-17.jpg

and this is where they are going to live:

2-16.jpg

because of the finish I want..... (READ>>>MY WIFE WANTS!)......the void between the units has to go.........so I have removed the conti board and ply'ed over:

1-19.jpg

the ply is there to give me something solid to screw to after I have installed the tiles....(there will be floating shelf's).........
but because I want to fix to something "other" than ply, I have overboarded with plasterboard:

2-19.jpg

and I have even done the return on the kitchen units:

3-8.jpg

where the "rough" edge of the plasterboard faces the kitchen I have installed a 15mm brushed ali trim behind the plasterboard and this protrudes about 6mm.....not ideal.....but enough.....(I could only get 15mm trim today!)

and that looks like this:

4-6.jpg

Tommorrow, in amongst a couple of other things I need to do.......I will tile and grout this new feature to my own home!

best wishes

Lee......

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

Re: 1200x600 porcelthin tiles....

Looks nice Lee I have seen some of these feature walls in some of the high end residential houses and they look fabulous, nice choice of tile and I look forward to seeing it finished:thumbsup:

P

Protilers

Well....Today has been a real pain......it was nobody's fault...it's just that everything that could go wrong....DID!!!!!!!........

I went to chealsea today for a bit......checking client supplied materaials etc.......then I had to finish that feature wall @ home......so I drove to my local tile shop to pick up the piece of 8mm trim I needed......and guesss what.......
They did not have it....so I had to drive to thier store in shepheards bush......no problem (other than time!).........picked up the trim from S.Bush.........rushing home in the van......

right lets start (and finish) the feature wall before the wife gets home (as promised!).........

I wanted whole tiles at the top and as many full tiles as possible.....this was difficult due to the size of the wall's.......but I went for it........
full tiles at the top needed a skirting..........so I did that first:

IMG_1184.jpg

Oh and here is the cutter I am using.......I got it from RAY TT........cut's thes tiles like a dream:

IMG_1185.jpg

After cutting a tile......I removed the "rough" edge with my new 80 grit polishing disk that Gary the tiler gave me!.....and it worked a treat:

Before:

IMG_1186.jpg

After:

IMG_1187.jpg

you might not be able to see the "harris" I have put on the tile.......but basically after every dry cut I polished the edge of the rough cut..........

got the side of the wall up........and installed the trim for the front:

IMG_1188.jpg

now onto the main feature wall:

IMG_1189.jpg

after setting out I knew I needed a 14cm (140mm) "skirting" cut......that makes a fair bit of waste out of tiles this size.......but.......it will look the best so.........

I got on with it!!!!!

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

and here is how it looks from the corner:

IMG_1197.jpg

In the real world with materials onsite...this should have taken me no longer than 4 hours....grouted n'all.......
but it took a fair bit longer!!!!!!

but it is my own home......and my first time using Porcel-thin on walls............

but I have to say this look's really good......next step...paint and replace flooring in the living room!

best wishes

Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

nothink like being the wifes hero enjoy it while it last:8:

P

Protilers

nothink like being the wifes hero enjoy it while it last:8:

trying to get in her good books Ray........because I know I will be in the bad books tommorrow!!!!!!!!!.....ying and yang n'all........

P

Protilers

what do you think on the random joints Ray?

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'll deffo be doin something like that in my house lee and I'll be gettin em off ray ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

Protilers

I just decided that that will look most "contemporary"....made it up as I went along to be honest Andy.....and I was short of tiles (my fault)..........but random joints was the only really good way I could show whole tiles...
if it was regimented there would have been 3 whole tiles and some large cuts, I know that's fine....but personally I think "mixing it up a bit" has paid off..........

but as you know....."opinions are like bottoms!......everybody's got one!".........

I cant wait to put up the floating shelf's etc.........

best wishes

Lee

P

Protilers

Here is the finished job......grouted up in anthracite..........my wife has had a smile all weekend!!!

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

Dont look too shabby for a first attempt!!!!!

best wishes

Lee.

S

Spud

Lee that looks stunning! hard to see where the grout joints are now its been grouted well done

P

Protilers

Lee that looks stunning! hard to see where the grout joints are now its been grouted well done

Thanks Gary......thats exactly what I wanted!!!!!.......so I did it in anthracite.......and its a really good match actually!

best wishes

Lee.

Reply to 1200x600 porcel thin tiles.... in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks