Search the forum,

Discuss 110v or 240v in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

curlycan

As being a novice at this game could someone tell me why tradesmen normally use 110v tools and not 240v and if I was buying electrical equipment for my business is it best to buy 110v or 240v.

Cheers

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
110v sposed to be safer - you would probably be best to go for 110v if working on contract sites cos most main contractors will require it as part of the safety policy. Also on big sites power supply will often be supplied as 110v
If you working on smaller domestics and you going to plug into sockets then 240v ok - might be best to go for 110v and get transformer anyway to give ou flexibility.

Never really understood why 110v cos it is amps wot kills not volts

W

White Room

110v is for site work or large refurb work, 240v if your just going to work on the domestics side of things. I have 240v for a small cutter as well as 110v for my larger cutters, mixing tools and drills

W

White Room

110v sposed to be safer - you would probably be best to go for 110v if working on contract sites cos most main contractors will require it as part of the safety policy. Also on big sites power supply will often be supplied as 110v
If you working on smaller domestics and you going to plug into sockets then 240v ok - might be best to go for 110v and get transformer anyway to give ou flexibility.

Me neither on the 110v thing, did here at one point that they were thinking of going back to 240v, contractors are having to use a lot of cordless tools on domestic now, it's the wires trailing from the tools, health and safety.

D

Deleted member 1779

Advances in cordless equipment makes life a lot easier!

br3a.jpg

G

grumpygrouter

Because for a given power usage of a piece of equipment the lower voltage will draw less current. or maybe that is the other way round!!!
:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

I use 110v as it means you have the choice of site or domestic work. 240v limits you to domestic work

H

hillhead

Most of my gear is 110v,bit awkward mind you dragging a transformer about.
:incazzato:

G

Gazzer

I found this info on another website but i am surprised this question hasnt been put forward to the Electrical Forum :dizzy2:

"Building sites need flexible power but the chance of contact is much greater from choppping cables, etc., so it is transformed down to 110V, BUT it is also connected to earth at the centre tap of the 110V winding. This means that unless you are most unfortunate and touch both wires at once (110V), the most shock you should get to earth is only 55V Much safer, but needs heavier wires to carry the power."

"The reason why building sites use 110 is partly safe of the centre taped transformer and mostly due to the current being higher to power more powerful tools I.e.6000watt drills that pull only 4-8amps instead of 26amps at 230volt that's all,"

Reply to 110v or 240v in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, it's my first time here and I'm desperate to solve this problem. Can someone please tell me...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hello I wonder if anyone has of the attached tiles I could buy from them or something that is a...
Replies
Views
Lilygrace
L
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen