Search the forum,

Discuss Worst bathroom tiling job ever seen in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

Blunt Tool

For starters ...... finish round window, trim used at bottom but squint, then sides and top no trim and should have been trim or tiles mitred. L shaped cuts cut short and filled in with grout, walls and floor. Finish around upvc window thick and not cleaned off well. Finish to ceiling thick and not finished off well. Grout not been cleaned off well. Chips in tiles where been cut. For starters

B

Blunt Tool

Also is that a new shower as suspect shower is old as you can see the chrome has worn off and now see the brass?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Robbie aswell, plenty of good guys with years of experience on here and willing to help you.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at this and replying. I suspect it wasn't a professional tiler. More like a plumber who thought they could tile. If my parents had asked me, I would have suggested a different trades person for each of the jobs.

Q

Qwerty

Robbie, it's really good of you to come on here and ask us for our opinion. On the whole, the standard of finish can sometimes be a subjective matter. Homeowner standards, materials, pre completed prep, time constraints and budget can have an impact on the final result. But the standard of workmanship seen in your photos is nothing short of appalling if it was a professional tiler. If it was say for example a carpet fitter who said he could do it, and this was the end result- then no, it's not appalling, bad but not the worst. To be honest, no amount of remedial work will make it look professional. It will make it less ugly, but not a first class job. Most of us on here would actually have to try hard to do a job that bad.
The thing is, if the finished article is that bad, just what on earth is going on underneath with all of the prep (or maybe in this case none of the prep). Plumbing could leak, tiles could fall off etc etc.

As for where you go from here....... has any money changed hands, who has paid for materials, what terms were agreed?
I wouldn't advise they let them loose on it again, but legally they have to be given the chance to rectify any issues. Speak to your local trading standards officers via your council. They are very helpful and will be more than willing to guide you on the legal standing on it all. Failing that, citizens advice bureau.

I wish you all the very best with it all

Reaction score
Also is that a new shower as suspect shower is old as you can see the chrome has worn off and now see the brass?
It's meant to be all be new, but as you've suggested I think it's been used previously - I'm sure I could see some limescale around the shower head. Each time I've visited I've noticed something else - just so many issues, the only way I can see this being rectified is by stripping the whole thing out. If I told you how much this has cost them I think you'd be shocked!

B

Blunt Tool

It's meant to be all be new, but as you've digested I think it's been used previously - I'm sure I could see some limescale around the shower head. Each time I've visited I've noticed something else - just so many issues, the only way I can see this being retinues is by stripping the whole thing out. If I told you how much this has cost them I think you'd be shocked!
Listen and go by what @Plan Tec Tiling suggested ;)

Reaction score
Robbie, it's really good of you to come on here and ask us for our opinion. On the whole, the standard of finish can sometimes be a subjective matter. Homeowner standards, materials, pre completed prep, time constraints and budget can have an impact on the final result. But the standard of workmanship seen in your photos is nothing short of appalling if it was a professional tiler. If it was say for example a carpet fitter who said he could do it, and this was the end result- then no, it's not appalling, bad but not the worst. To be honest, no amount of remedial work will make it look professional. It will make it less ugly, but not a first class job. Most of us on here would actually have to try hard to do a job that bad.
The thing is, if the finished article is that bad, just what on earth is going on underneath with all of the prep (or maybe in this case none of the prep). Plumbing could leak, tiles could fall off etc etc.

As for where you go from here....... has any money changed hands, who has paid for materials, what terms were agreed?
I wouldn't advise they let them loose on it again, but legally they have to be given the chance to rectify any issues. Speak to your local trading standards officers via your council. They are very helpful and will be more than willing to guide you on the legal standing on it all. Failing that, citizens advice bureau.

I wish you all the very best with it all
Thank you for your advice. You are absolutely right about it being subjective. I believe they used a well known (local) bathroom design and installation company. I'll let them know what you've suggested and go from there. Many Thanks.

T

Time's Ran Out

32 pictures and something not acceptable in every one!
You need to take advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau on your way forward to take action.
Altogether it is very bad!

Reply to Worst bathroom tiling job ever seen in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen