Search the forum,

Discuss White wall tile variations in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AAW

Hi,

I’ve recently had my bathroom re-done which includes floor to ceiling white tiles however we didn’t notice until they’d been grouted that the tiles vary in colour/shade so I now need advice on how tiles should be laid as I am in dispute with the tile company.

Our builder that employed the tiler said that he tiled from one box at a time and when we came home in the evenings it was obvious he had done certain areas each day.

I was not told by the tile supplier that I should check batch codes but having ordered only 17 boxes it seems as though the tile provider would have checked this before they left the warehouse although not guranteed so we cannot be certain that different batches have not been used however looking at the wall it looks as though there has been variation within a box not necessarily between batches.

When speaking with the tile company the two people there I have spoken with have contradicted themselves

1. Said that you should check batch codes and always tile box by box unless they are natural/stone tiles where you will need to mix and match - this is what the builder said the tiler had done but we still have the variation in tiles.

2. The second person told me that you have to pick and mix between boxes to get the right shade even if they are all the same batch code.

The tiles I used are Johnson’s square white porcelain tiles.

Please can anyone advise on the correct way to tile with white tiles and if anyone has experienced this in the past?

Thank you!
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

O

Old Mod

Just like to point out first that this shade variation can happen very easily and unfortunately occurs far too frequently.

Sounds to me that you’ve been given answers that whilst in part are true, air on the side of the tile companies favour. A slightly distorted truth.
This is a subject that caused one of the most heated discussions on the forum several years ago.

When the room was tiled, were the finished lights in and working?
British standards states that this must be the case before tile fixing commences.

Most tile manufacturers to my knowledge have a disclaimer on the box about shade variation and it being the tilers responsibility to empty several boxes at once and take some from each, not to take one box at a time.
That said I don’t really see why with a plain white tile there should be shade variation unless there were different batches.
You would think the retailer would show due diligence and only supply boxes from the same batch, it seems they don’t really care in the main, and will only address the issue if someone complains.
But here’s the catch, only BEFORE they are fixed. Typically, the fact that they’re fixed, means it’s between you and your tiler and Builder to resolve. Unless the supplier wants to help sort it.

Or.....

It could be moisture absorption in to the tile, however if they are porcelain, that’s less likely.

Do you not have any of the old boxes available?
Or have they been conveniently discarded.

Sometimes you can’t actually tell tiles are of a different shade until they are fixed and grouted, I’ve seen that myself. You just can’t tell until it’s finished.
Which places more emphasis on checking materials maticilously before work commences.

It looks like there may have to be a case of shared responsibility between everyone, yourself included unfortunately, so that an acceptable outcome can be reached quickly.
I’m suggesting that you share the cost to show that you’re willing to compromise in the hope that all concerned will follow suit.

Ultimately, if A compromise can’t be reached, the tiler will have to shoulder the responsibility. As a professional, it’s part of his responsibility to make sure this doesn’t happen.
Situations like this can get seriously out of hand very quickly if everyone is digging their heels in and not being cooperative.

Perhaps @Paul C. can give a different approach, he deals with this kind of situation on occasion.

O

On one

I've been there and got the t shirt.
And it has mainly happened with small tiles, white tiles and tiles from a diy shed and not from a dedicated tile supplier.
To the untrained fitter it is not until the tiles have been polished off ,after grouting that difference becomes apparent.
Are you sure they are porcelain?
Who purchased the tiles?

D

Dumbo

B and q in particular are quite good at placing bar code stickers over batch no .

D

Dumbo

Im not being funny but they look like Project whites which are ok if they are from proper tile shops . But if they are from diy chains or certain nationwide tile retailers youre going to struggle .

A

AAW

They are from Walls and Floors, Johnson is the brand. They are ceramic not porcelain, my mistake.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The consistency of the shading of the tiles suggest that the boxes have been opened and fixed rather than selecting from 3 separate boxes. As 3_Fall as well, you just cannot tell until grouted and the lights turned on in the room. For me white is the most difficult colour to have consistency through anyway.

Reply to White wall tile variations in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen