Search the forum,

Discuss White wall tile variations in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AAW

Hi,

I’ve recently had my bathroom re-done which includes floor to ceiling white tiles however we didn’t notice until they’d been grouted that the tiles vary in colour/shade so I now need advice on how tiles should be laid as I am in dispute with the tile company.

Our builder that employed the tiler said that he tiled from one box at a time and when we came home in the evenings it was obvious he had done certain areas each day.

I was not told by the tile supplier that I should check batch codes but having ordered only 17 boxes it seems as though the tile provider would have checked this before they left the warehouse although not guranteed so we cannot be certain that different batches have not been used however looking at the wall it looks as though there has been variation within a box not necessarily between batches.

When speaking with the tile company the two people there I have spoken with have contradicted themselves

1. Said that you should check batch codes and always tile box by box unless they are natural/stone tiles where you will need to mix and match - this is what the builder said the tiler had done but we still have the variation in tiles.

2. The second person told me that you have to pick and mix between boxes to get the right shade even if they are all the same batch code.

The tiles I used are Johnson’s square white porcelain tiles.

Please can anyone advise on the correct way to tile with white tiles and if anyone has experienced this in the past?

Thank you!
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

O

Old Mod

Just like to point out first that this shade variation can happen very easily and unfortunately occurs far too frequently.

Sounds to me that you’ve been given answers that whilst in part are true, air on the side of the tile companies favour. A slightly distorted truth.
This is a subject that caused one of the most heated discussions on the forum several years ago.

When the room was tiled, were the finished lights in and working?
British standards states that this must be the case before tile fixing commences.

Most tile manufacturers to my knowledge have a disclaimer on the box about shade variation and it being the tilers responsibility to empty several boxes at once and take some from each, not to take one box at a time.
That said I don’t really see why with a plain white tile there should be shade variation unless there were different batches.
You would think the retailer would show due diligence and only supply boxes from the same batch, it seems they don’t really care in the main, and will only address the issue if someone complains.
But here’s the catch, only BEFORE they are fixed. Typically, the fact that they’re fixed, means it’s between you and your tiler and Builder to resolve. Unless the supplier wants to help sort it.

Or.....

It could be moisture absorption in to the tile, however if they are porcelain, that’s less likely.

Do you not have any of the old boxes available?
Or have they been conveniently discarded.

Sometimes you can’t actually tell tiles are of a different shade until they are fixed and grouted, I’ve seen that myself. You just can’t tell until it’s finished.
Which places more emphasis on checking materials maticilously before work commences.

It looks like there may have to be a case of shared responsibility between everyone, yourself included unfortunately, so that an acceptable outcome can be reached quickly.
I’m suggesting that you share the cost to show that you’re willing to compromise in the hope that all concerned will follow suit.

Ultimately, if A compromise can’t be reached, the tiler will have to shoulder the responsibility. As a professional, it’s part of his responsibility to make sure this doesn’t happen.
Situations like this can get seriously out of hand very quickly if everyone is digging their heels in and not being cooperative.

Perhaps @Paul C. can give a different approach, he deals with this kind of situation on occasion.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
The consistency of the shading of the tiles suggest that the boxes have been opened and fixed rather than selecting from 3 separate boxes. As 3_Fall as well, you just cannot tell until grouted and the lights turned on in the room. For me white is the most difficult colour to have consistency through anyway.

A

AAW

Just like to point out first that this shade variation can happen very easily and unfortunately occurs far too frequently.

Sounds to me that you’ve been given answers that whilst in part are true, air on the side of the tile companies favour. A slightly distorted truth.
This is a subject that caused one of the most heated discussions on the forum several years ago.

When the room was tiled, were the finished lights in and working?
British standards states that this must be the case before tile fixing commences.

Most tile manufacturers to my knowledge have a disclaimer on the box about shade variation and it being the tilers responsibility to empty several boxes at once and take some from each, not to take one box at a time.
That said I don’t really see why with a plain white tile there should be shade variation unless there were different batches.
You would think the retailer would show due diligence and only supply boxes from the same batch, it seems they don’t really care in the main, and will only address the issue if someone complains.
But here’s the catch, only BEFORE they are fixed. Typically, the fact that they’re fixed, means it’s between you and your tiler and Builder to resolve. Unless the supplier wants to help sort it.

Or.....

It could be moisture absorption in to the tile, however if they are porcelain, that’s less likely.

Do you not have any of the old boxes available?
Or have they been conveniently discarded.

Sometimes you can’t actually tell tiles are of a different shade until they are fixed and grouted, I’ve seen that myself. You just can’t tell until it’s finished.
Which places more emphasis on checking materials maticilously before work commences.

It looks like there may have to be a case of shared responsibility between everyone, yourself included unfortunately, so that an acceptable outcome can be reached quickly.
I’m suggesting that you share the cost to show that you’re willing to compromise in the hope that all concerned will follow suit.

Ultimately, if A compromise can’t be reached, the tiler will have to shoulder the responsibility. As a professional, it’s part of his responsibility to make sure this doesn’t happen.
Situations like this can get seriously out of hand very quickly if everyone is digging their heels in and not being cooperative.

Perhaps @Paul C. can give a different approach, he deals with this kind of situation on occasion.

The lights were in place before the tiles were finished. We have four left over boxes of tiles and they all have the same batch code, unfortunately we do not have the boxes from the used tiles.

A

AAW

The consistency of the shading of the tiles suggest that the boxes have been opened and fixed rather than selecting from 3 separate boxes. As 3_Fall as well, you just cannot tell until grouted and the lights turned on in the room. For me white is the most difficult colour to have consistency through anyway.

So should the tiler of chosen from several different boxes?

O

On one

One day's production has a different batch number from another day's production.(different day,slightly different colour glaze) Although I have seen different batch numbers with the same date of production.
And plain white tiles are the worst for this, allied with Johnson's well known quality issues(at least in the trade it is well known) ,over the last good few years

D

Dumbo

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge.

Do you know if it mentions in British Standards that tiles need to be picked from several different boxes? This is something the supplier said to me on the phone but wondered if anyone can confirm this is the case?
Don't know where you want to go with this as I said before it would still look like a chess board and would be unsatisfactory .

A

AAW

I paid £29.95 per sqm, I don't know how this compares. Our only reason for choosing these were because of size, they were the only white 100 x 100 mm tiles we could find.

The provider is offering to replace all tiles again but this will mean paying for the tiler to remove and all of them and re-tile and realistically we cannot afford to pay another £1,000 plus for this to be done.

D

Dumbo

I paid £29.95 per sqm, I don't know how this compares. Our only reason for choosing these were because of size, they were the only white 100 x 100 mm tiles we could find.

The provider is offering to replace all tiles again but this will mean paying for the tiler to remove and all of them and re-tile and realistically we cannot afford to pay another £1,000 plus for this to be done.
I take it that's without prejudice

A

AAW

I will say this and that I’m not a tiler in London. That I do not know the prep work involved, the number of window reveals etc. However that does sound a lot. Do you have job spec? What the work was that you paid for. I can’t be overly critical. I like to comment on the overall facts.

The room is 1.5 x 2 m with one window. The room has been tiled floor to ceiling.

O

Old Mod

The room is 1.5 x 2 m with one window. The room has been tiled floor to ceiling.
You should not be expected to stand the cost of removing and refitting.
Ultimately the work is not acceptable, and the tiler and builder have a responsibility to leave a job in an acceptable condition, which this is not.
I suggested everyone chipping in so that things don’t get ugly.
But if you don’t mind ugly, then it’s not your issue to deal with, it’s theirs.
You can’t be expected to pay for works that are not up to scratch.

Reply to White wall tile variations in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement