Search the forum,

Discuss what type of backing board is best in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

paul westcott

ok ill tank around the shower and bath part for extra protection. Looks like i'll be going with 12.5mm wall boards but as some of the walls are not 100% i will probably have to dab n dot to get a good level and then mechanical fix. So ive been leaning towards the Marmox boards as they seem lighter the the hardibacker or aquaboard and it says you can dab and dot with the Marmox board but not with the others and then fix using their dowel pins where i have but the dabs.
Does this seem the right way to go ? also do i need to seal the block i will be fixing boards to and do i just use tiling adhesive for the d/d.
Appreciate all your advice,thanks again

T

Time's Ran Out

Just use Wedi/Jackoboard and save on the tanking, just the joins and corners.
Take more surface weight then any of the paint on products.

P

paul westcott

If i use plasterboard on a couple of the walls not in the wet area will dab and dot be strong enough to hold all tiles or would it also need fixing to the wall with some sort of fixing for extra strength, I will be using 600 x 300 tiles 10mm thick (worked it out to roughly 23-24 kg per sq mt and do i need to prime the blocks first? Ive decided on the Marmox boards for everywhere else as they can be dab n dot to help level the wall a bit and fixed with the dowels afterword but would save a bit of money if i plasterboard the other areas.
Thanks

W

Waluigi

The only time you need to mechanically fix plasterboard to a block/brick wall is if it’s the insulated board which require just two fixings to comply with the fire regs

That said, it won’t do any harm.

W

Waluigi

No need to prime the blocks unless they are very dusty. Which then might need a watered down PVA.

Remember- you don’t use tile adhesive for the plasterboard, you use Dri-wall Adhesive.

P

paul westcott

Thanks for the quick reply Waluigi is there any specific fitting to use?
edit posted before your last reply, yes will use dry wall adhesive thanks for the heads up ..what about taping the joints would i do it the same way as the backer boards?

P

paul westcott

Thanks again...out of interest i'm using the spankers to fix for the Marmox board could i use them on the plaster board as well done the same way

W

Waluigi

In my experience, I just use a large flat wood bit and use them on the plasterboard just to take the paper face off and a millimetre or two off the board so that the washer sits flush/recessed.

They don’t bite in on plasterboard like they do on the foam board.

P

paul westcott

I'm probably being really thick here, but if i use the washers in the link how do i get the wall plug into the wall after the wall adhesive has dried. Do you just drill the hole big enough for it to go through the board say 10mm hole and the washer holds the board in place..sorry if it sounds like a stupid question..

Reply to what type of backing board is best in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen