Search the forum,

Discuss what to use for a kitchen worktop - floor or wall tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tilegirl

Hi,
I've found two options for 200x200 white tiles to use for a kitchen worktop.
Choice: Johnsons glazed wall tiles or some matt finish floor tiles from Walls and Floors.

Altho I previously had cheap 6 inch wall tiles and they lasted quite well (after 12 years only about 3 cracked and two of these were around the taps), many places told me I should really use floor tiles for a work surface BUT:

I tested sample of each for staining (tea, red wine etc) and marking, the wall tiles seem fine, the floor tiles (unsealed) mark very badly and easily with moving a saucepan about on the surface or a knife cut, and a scratch already on the sample tile kept the stain I put on.

Should I use the floor tiles - but have to seal them - but what with - that would be safe for food use etc and not need regular re-sealing.

Or stick with the wall tiles - which are better quality and thicker than the old ones and need no sealing or aftercare?
I'm thinking the latter...!

Thanks

U

user123

Hi :) If it HAS to be tiles I'd go for vitrified glass mosaic tiles with epoxy grout, or stick to the wall tiles you were happy with, glazed ceramic tiles are often used for kitchen worktops but I wouldn't like it personally. But then I wouldn't either drag saucepans across a worktop nor cut on them, really, that's what chopping boards etc are for? And then there are glazed ceramic floortiles, they wouldn't need sealing, what did you choose?

T

tilegirl

well, I think I will stick with the wall tiles. I had already bought them but then I found the floor tile option (which everywhere recommended I should be using) . I don't usually cut or drag things either but I was doing an extreme test! The unsealed floor tiles would definately not be any good as they are - even moving stuff around lightly would mark them!
I have epoxy grout ready and waiting!

Thanks

R

Richard Edwards

Personally I wouldn't use tiles for a work top - however since your sold on the idea, I would use the Stonker Range of floor tiles from Porcelanosa and then grout them in Epoxy Grout keeping the joint as narrow as you can. Also consider a decent backer board as most problems are likely to occur due to movement rather than impact damage.

Reply to what to use for a kitchen worktop - floor or wall tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen